Question Why are file transfer speeds VERY slow inside Windows 10 VM using Parallels software on MacOS ?

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hello folks. So, I've recently installed Windows 10 on my 2019 Macbook Pro, using Parallels Desktop. I'm currently running the free trial if that is applicable information.
I want to get my photos and videos from my Android phone transferred to an external hard drive. I connected the phone and the hard drive via USB, and selected the option to connect with Windows. I selected all the photos/videos (about 40GB) and tried to drag them over to the Hard drive. But I get a message that says that there is insufficient Disk space, which is not true because I have well over a TB of space left on this Hard drive. When I choose small batches of photos it seems to transfer all right, but when I tried to transfer a large video file, it took FOREVER, and never actually finished before I cancelled it (which also took forever). I'm wondering what the problem is.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello folks. So, I've recently installed Windows 10 on my 2019 Macbook Pro, using Parallels Desktop. I'm currently running the free trial if that is applicable information.
I want to get my photos and videos from my Android phone transferred to an external hard drive. I connected the phone and the hard drive via USB, and selected the option to connect with Windows. I selected all the photos/videos (about 40GB) and tried to drag them over to the Hard drive. But I get a message that says that there is insufficient Disk space, which is not true because I have well over a TB of space left on this Hard drive. When I choose small batches of photos it seems to transfer all right, but when I tried to transfer a large video file, it took FOREVER, and never actually finished before I cancelled it (which also took forever). I'm wondering what the problem is.
Parallels is a virtual machine (VM) which means it is limited by the available system resources of macOS. Your read/write speeds will vary depending upon how what is being used by macOS at the same time. It’s also possible that Parallels does not have enough RAM, Storage, or CPU allocated to it.

Reactions: Jasephel

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I use VMware Workstation on Windows 10 from time to time, and I can confirm %100 that general speed of the VM is truly horrible. Even with 5core and 3GB VRAM it is slow to boot like 3minutes and games are unplayable in the VM due to very slow speed of the VM itself, I disabled File anti virus for VMware and ISO file locations still so slow. I do not know about transfer speeds but I can say Windows XP in latest version of VMware boots FASTER than Windows 11. And one would think latest tech are always speedy and awesome, not anymore, that trend ended after 2010s. I also cleared bloatware from the VM, did not much difference.

Reactions: Jasephel

Jasephel

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, my question isn't really answered, as I decided to uninstall Parallels and reinstall Windows through Bootcamp. This way, Windows has full access to resources, instead of being split between the MacOS and Windows. I just wasn't willing to live with slow data transfer speeds to make it work.