Why are games stuttering on this config?

toxixhun

Prominent
Aug 6, 2018
Hi. So i saw a video where a guy tried games with their recommended system requirements like GTA4 with shadows turned on with 2gb of ram, a radeon hd3870, and a core 2 quad at 2,4ghz and at 1080p. It ran at 35fps. I have a laptop with 8gb ddr3 ram, a radeon hd8750m 2gb 128bit and an intel core i5-4200u 2,3ghz. When i run the same exact game i get 24fps on the same resolution WITH SHADOWS TURNED OFF while i have a much more powerful config. Why does this happen? Also in GTA5 at 720p minimum settings it barely hits 40fps. Does the M in the model name of my gpu make it much weaker than a hd3870? The drivers are all installed correctly, the newest of them. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. What could be the issue here?

Solution
The i5-4200u is 2 cores/4threads that runs at 1.6Ghz
(and could boost up to 2.6Ghz if thermals and power requirements are met,you really have to run a monitoring software while gaming to look at what Ghz the cores are running.)
Even with all of them running at 2.4 like you mention in the beginning it's still 2/4 against 4 even with yours being newer and better performing.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
First off, where did you see this video? If places like YT, take what you see with a pinch of salt.

How old is the video? With patches etc, that (supposed) performance may or may not be accurate any longer.

Your spec falls short of the recommended & minimums, the other guy's even more so!

The 8750M is a good margin stronger than an HD3870...... but if the results aren't legit on that original hardware, you're comparing to fictional performance.

toxixhun

Prominent
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry for the late reply, i wasn't at home. It was on YT and the specs the games were tested on were displayed in the corner. I think the video was not older than 1year old. Im not sure because i cant seem to find it anywhere. He played the game while recording, so there was live footage of how the game ran on that config. I dont think my specs fall short of the recommended - HD8750M-HD3870 - 8GB RAM-2GB RAM - i5 4200U-Core 2 Quad - These are much more powerful than the recommended, so i dont get it what you are talking about. The fans and the inside of the laptop is completely clear. Maybe i should upgrade to Windows 10? Or what should I do? Why is the performance of my laptop so terrible with these specs?

The i5-4200u is 2 cores/4threads that runs at 1.6Ghz
(and could boost up to 2.6Ghz if thermals and power requirements are met,you really have to run a monitoring software while gaming to look at what Ghz the cores are running.)
Even with all of them running at 2.4 like you mention in the beginning it's still 2/4 against 4 even with yours being newer and better performing.

Solution