Question Why are Intel CPU prices so variable?

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Why on earth are the Intel CPU prices variable for certain models? For example, taking a look at the Core i9 9960x on Newegg, the processor is available for $866 or $1600, which is almost double the price. Same with other vendors such as Amazon. What is the catch for the cheaper options?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Neweggsellers.jpg

Newegg is a marketplace of competing merchants.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
antonline Is a valid merchant but the prices on Newegg don't always reflect what is current. You would need to go through the checkout and see what the current price is. If you view their store this will come up.
antonline.jpg

The main question is why sell so cheap? Typos, discontinuation of the product, open box? Who knows you would need to ask the merchant but normally they tell you that in the product description unless they are liquidating.

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
antonline Is a valid merchant but the prices on Newegg don't always reflect what is current. You would need to go through the checkout and see what the current price is. If you view their store this will come up.
antonline.jpg

The main question is why sell so cheap? Typos, discontinuation of the product, open box? Who knows you would need to ask the merchant but normally they tell you that in the product description unless they are liquidating.

Thanks! The price of $916.65 is still cheaper than its competitors!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Significantly cheaper usually is a sign of something shady. And the marketplace sites are full of fraudsters. Fools and their money get separated, just keep that in mind.

You either don't shop around or live in a glasshouse.

NewEgg= Marketplace
eBay= Marketplace
Amzon=Marketplace
Walmart=Marketplace
Micro Center=Marketplace
Tigerdirect=Marketplace
Frys=Marketpalce
AntOnline=Marketplace
B&H Photo=Marketplace
Alibaba=Marketplace

Just because you find something cheap doesn't mean it's a scam, there are many reason why a legit business would decide to dump a product cheap but you should always look at things with a bit of caution. ;)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-skylake-x-price-cut-cascade-lake-x

I'm guessing reason there are some available for significantly less is because Intel cut prices by up to ~50%, because they didn't make sense light of the options from AMD, and brings them in line with the pricing of the upcoming Cascade Lake X HEDT CPUs. But it also looks like availability is really bad hence only being available from marketplace sellers, and marketplace prices are always a crapshoot.

That being said, I don't see it available for $866 anywhere either.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-skylake-x-price-cut-cascade-lake-x

I'm guessing reason there are some available for significantly less is because Intel cut prices by up to ~50%, because they didn't make sense light of the options from AMD, and brings them in line with the pricing of the upcoming Cascade Lake X HEDT CPUs. But it also looks like availability is really bad hence only being available from marketplace sellers, and marketplace prices are always a crapshoot.

That being said, I don't see it available for $866 anywhere either.
You're not looking hard enough. :kikou:

buypc.jpg

i99940x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
In South Africa we pay around 1.1k usd for a 3950x amd cpu.Our government actually wants to make us believe import tax are 300 usd.I know they need to make some money but to charge that much are plain and simple greedy.You should be able to find a I9 9900k for cheaper.Even if it's a trusted seller it can still be a greedy one overcharging people