Question Why are Keyboard and Mouse not recognized when reinstalling Windows 7-64

Jan 10, 2024
I have a mystery and have spent days using google to search for answers with no solution. I hope someone can help figure out what is going on.

T never had this problem before with this machine. The only difference is I have a new wireless PCIex1 Network Card, and I can't how that would be the cause of the issue.

The BIOS sees the Mouse and Keyboard (either is was the Microsoft or Logitech set). I have tried using the original CD as well as a USB drive to install Windows 7-64 Professional. As soon as the first Windows Screen pops up asking for Language the Mouse and Keyboard do not respond at all. I have added drivers from the ASUS MB to the installation, still doesn't work. I have tried turning on and off the USB Legacy. Nothing works. Here are the relevant specs

- ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS AM4 AMD B350 MB
- CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 288-Pin PCRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory (Model CMK32GX4M2A2400C14)
- MUSHKIN Triactor 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDTR250GB-3DL
- LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40
- MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card GTX 1060 GAMING X 3G
- TP-INK N300 PCIe WiFi Card (TL-WN881ND), Wireless network Adapter card for PC
- MICROSFOT Desktop 850 Mouse/Keyboard OR Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

The BIOS was updated when i first installed the OS on this PC. I had to replace the HDD with and SSD and put it in a new Tower Case. Nothing else changed, but all of a sudden I can't use the Keyboard and Mouse when installing the Windows OS. I am totally stumped. I hope someone has solutions to what is going on.

Thanks.

Ken L

Solution
The only difference is I have a new wireless PCIex1 Network Card, and I can't how that would be the cause of the issue.
Might I suggest just for your install of windows remove the network card. If this is your issue a minor inconvenience I know but if it moves you forward. Or if it still has MIA M/K we'll go from there and keep helping.

And for what it's worth I have hit this wall a few times and pushed past it with different USB set of K/M and like suggested a PS/2 old setup but that can't help if you don't have the PS/2.
Jan 10, 2024
Sounds like a driver issue, since the devices work in the BIOS and not Windows.

Do you have a PS2 type keyboard or mouse? Those should work without the USB drivers.

Why are you using Win 7 with this config?
I don't have any PS-2 devices. I added the USB drivers using the ASUS Install tool that added the drivers to the Windows 7-64 ISO, still no solution.

The other curious thing is I didn't have this issue using the same CD when installing the OS before.

And i hate Windows 10! Yes I know I can make Win 10 "feel" like Windows 7, but it's not the same. I have more headaches with Win 10 with my notebook.

Ken L.

Jan 10, 2024
Understood, but why Win 7?
Just realized, you might have answered my earlier post before I edited it. So the reason for Win 7 is I hate Win 10 and avoid using it as much as i can. I have a natebook with it, and though I have some "hacks" that make it "feel" like Win 7, it's still not the same.

Ken L

The only difference is I have a new wireless PCIex1 Network Card, and I can't how that would be the cause of the issue.
Might I suggest just for your install of windows remove the network card. If this is your issue a minor inconvenience I know but if it moves you forward. Or if it still has MIA M/K we'll go from there and keep helping.

And for what it's worth I have hit this wall a few times and pushed past it with different USB set of K/M and like suggested a PS/2 old setup but that can't help if you don't have the PS/2.

Solution
Jan 10, 2024

Thank you. I don't know why a network card would cause the Keyboard/Mouse not to work, but evidently that was the issue.

I just hope I can use the card and the Keyboard/Mouse after I install the OS. :-\

Thanks.

Ken L

Reactions: stonecarver
Jan 10, 2024
Thank you. I don't know why a network card would cause the Keyboard/Mouse not to work, but evidently that was the issue.

I just hope I can use the card and the Keyboard/Mouse after I install the OS. :-\

Thanks.

Ken L
So far so good, Windows runs with cards plugged in. Now to make sure drivers work for them, but I still don't understand why would something that has nothing to do with the USB system interfere with the Keyboard/Mouse. I'm puzzled.

Ken L