[SOLVED] Why are my benchmarks so different for my two identical SSDs?

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I have two SSDs, each one is a "Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB)"

Here are my benchmark results running on two drives (one is my main drive with Windows 10 on it, and the other is just a spare drive). I've also attached the disk management listings for both drives to show their structure:

th6EJxG.png

Is this normal for this kind of drive? The temps seem to be within spec - both idle around 42-43C and then during the benchmarks, hit a max of 59-60C or so. My motherboard is the Aorus Xtreme x570, so both drives are using the built-in "heat armor" for the heatsink. Thermal pads had all the protective coverings removed before installing and temps seem to match what I see in Amazon reviews, so I don't think it's a heat problem (I'm just mentioning all this in case someone asks about it).

Other than that here are the space allocations for both drives (the second one is just straight-up empty right now since I only just now formatted it after noticing it wasn't showing up in my File Explorer):

GNFMKSq.png

Are these numbers normal or is there a problematic reason behind the significant differences between the two?

Solution
One M.2 is using direct CPU lanes, the other is over the X570 chipset. Increased latency therefore on D which impacts 4K. (don't worry about high queue/thread results)

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. What processor do you have paired with that board and the SSD's? Which slots have you populated on your board with the M.2 SSD's? See if you have any BIOS updates pending. Also try run the tests a couple of times to see if the numbers are constant for both drives. IMHO, they are probably running within a margin of error since the advertised material of most SSD's share that their unit can do "up to" in their results.

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
We're going to need more information. What processor do you have paired with that board and the SSD's? Which slots have you populated on your board with the M.2 SSD's? See if you have any BIOS updates pending. Also try run the tests a couple of times to see if the numbers are constant for both drives. IMHO, they are probably running within a margin of error since the advertised material of most SSD's share that their unit can do "up to" in their results.

Processor: 3950x

Motherboard: Aorus Xtreme x570

Slots used: The first two M.2 slots, didn't put anything in the third.

BIOS is up to date.

Ran the benchmark again and got higher numbers on drive D that are now consistent with drive C.

So... good news, but dang, why such a variance?

New results:

KmKZTcl.png

For whatever reason the Write RND4K Q32T16 seems to be consistently lower after a few runs (around 2800 range, other drive is consistently 3300+, don't know why), but other than that, they seem pretty close.

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I'm referring mainly to the numbers in the first post that were so wildly different and then seemed to normalize fine after that? Also unsure why Write RND4K Q32T16 is slower on one drive versus the other even after several re-runs.