Question Why are my CPU and GPU temps going up and down when nothing is happening?

Jan 13, 2021
I've had my MSI GS66 Stealth for about 4 months and have used it for school and a bit of gaming. When I turned on my laptop today and got to the home screen, my fans kicked up and when I checked the Dragon Center, I saw the temps for both CPU and GPU constantly going up and down. The highest for the CPU was around 90c and the highest for the GPU was around 60c. I'm not good with laptops or pc's but will and don't really know what I should be looking for so any help help would be really appreciated.

D

Deleted member 1560910

does dragon center allow you to adjust a custom fan curve ? Dont panic but i would not use the laptop when its pushing 90c. It will not last long with those temps. First i want to see if we can do a custom fan curve to control temps.

What programs are you running when it gets up to 90c ?

Jan 13, 2021
does dragon center allow you to adjust a custom fan curve ? Dont panic but i would not use the laptop when its pushing 90c. It will not last long with those temps. First i want to see if we can do a custom fan curve to control temps.

What programs are you running when it gets up to 90c ?
Yes, in Dragon Center I have the fans set to a custom where the performance level is set to high and the fan speed is set to advanced. At the time I was not running anything in the background. Literally turned it on, loaded up the home screen, and the fans just kicked up and saw that the temperature was rising and going down at a consistent rate.

"Why are my CPU and GPU temps going up and down when nothing is happening?"

Hi GPC00.

The answer is quite easy. When you start your system some software can update in the background. Like Windows Updates, Antivirus updating / scanning etc. Something was doing something. That's for sure. If it stops after a minute than it's ok. If it keeps going for hours than you have an issue.

Jan 13, 2021
"Why are my CPU and GPU temps going up and down when nothing is happening?"

Hi GPC00.

The answer is quite easy. When you start your system some software can update in the background. Like Windows Updates, Antivirus updating / scanning etc. Something was doing something. That's for sure. If it stops after a minute than it's ok. If it keeps going for hours than you have an issue.
It honestly is weird though because this has never happened and when there is a windows update running in the background, the temp doesn't shoot all the way up and keep on fluctuating between cooler and hotter temperatures. So far the temps are 54c for the CPU and 49c for the GPU but I would still consider this to be too high because ever since I have gotten the laptop, the temps are always at around the 30s and will never go above unless I'm doing something like watching a video and doing homework at the same time.