Question Why are my dual, HDMI-connected monitors going black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I built this PC for streaming, editing and light gaming purposes. I have had an issue for a while now that I just can't seem to find an answer for and I was hoping someone here could chime in some ideas because I'm stumped.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor

Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

CORSAIR BUILDER SERIES CX650 650 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Windows 10 64 bit (fully updated)

I have two monitors both connected with HDMI cables to my GTX 1050 Ti. Displays are working fine for the most part. However, sometimes when I have multiple apps on, especially my broadcasting software, my secondary monitor and sometimes my main monitor as well just go black for a bit. I tend to reboot when it gets particularly bad and that seems to solve it. Sometimes the secondary monitor will even turn off and on multiple times until I shutdown one of my running apps. This happened particularly yesterday when I tried to stream both a game and have Stream Avatars running (reboot didn't help here). Had to kill the latter so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to read chat with a monitor going off and on.

I typically stream my PS4 via external capture card (Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme) and the problem occurs less frequently this way but still happens on occasion.

No lost signal, no lost power, nothing. Just black then back on. I have checked cables, I have clean installed drivers, I have changed power settings, resolutions and refresh rates are set up fine.

One thing I found online that was outside the usual suggestions was that it might be my power supply isn't enough but am I wrong in thinking that 650W would be enough?

I'd really appreciate some ideas because I can't think of anything else.

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
Hi
650w are enough for a 1050 ti, but maybe the PSU has some problems.
Have you tried with a different gpu?
Have you tried with a different power supply?
Since both monitors go black, the monitors themselves shouldn't be the problem.

I can't think of anything else, just the routine question, have you tried reinstalling the gpu drivers?

Reactions: LordFishenchips
Jul 14, 2020
Hi
650w are enough for a 1050 ti, but maybe the PSU has some problems.
Have you tried with a different gpu?
Have you tried with a different power supply?
Since both monitors go black, the monitors themselves shouldn't be the problem.

I can't think of anything else, just the routine question, have you tried reinstalling the gpu drivers?

Thank you so much for your reply! Sadly, I don't have other components to try out. I did reinstall NVIDIA drivers with a wipe and clean install.

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
oh,

If you don't have any other component to try, then I can't do much to help you.
Try an older version of the video drivers, also, did you use DDU to perform a clean driver install?
Really don't know what else to say.

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.