Question why are my fans on my PC always running at full power

Jun 16, 2020
I recently got a pc and the fans have been extremely loud. When i am not doing much on the PC, according to NZXT my CPU stays at about 38-50 degrees C, which I think is very low. When I play the PC stays at around 70 degrees or maybe cooler depending on the game. If my fans are constantly on full power which I think they are, how do I fix this. Is there some setting in BIOS.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Are they 3-pin fans? Are the fans connected to the power supply?

Both of these things cause them to run at full speed. If you have 3-pin fans (only 4-pin fans ramp up in speed as the components get hotter) connected to your motherboard, go into BIOS and switch the fan control mode to "DC/Voltage".

If you have the fans set on PSU, they will run at full speed all the time since the PSU just sends a constant voltage to the fans.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I dont know if they are 3 pin fans how do i check>
also youre saying if the fans are 3 pin fans theres no way to fix it?
The fans have a cable that needs to be connected to motherboard in order to function. Open up the PC and check if the fan cables (should be connected to a SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header on mobo) are 3-pin or 4-pin. If they're 3-pin, you can control the speed if you set the fan control mode to "DC/Voltage" in BIOS.

D

Deleted member 2720853

but how do i know if my fans are 3 pin or 4 pin
Take out the cable and check how many holes it has.

A6RW58P.png

Jun 16, 2020
the cable I see from one of my fans goes from the fan to the motherboard. Should i check the cable that goes to the fan or goes to the motherboard. Also, should i assume that if one fan is 3 pin then the other ones are also 3 pin. I don't know a lot about this stuff and don't want to tinker and mess something up.

D

Deleted member 2720853

the cable I see from one of my fans goes from the fan to the motherboard. Should i check the cable that goes to the fan or goes to the motherboard. Also, should i assume that if one fan is 3 pin then the other ones are also 3 pin. I don't know a lot about this stuff and don't want to tinker and mess something up.
Check the one that goes to the motherboard, it's the only one you can check. Take it out, see if it's 3 pin or 4 pin, and place it back. Then report back here.

And yes, the others should be the same.

Jun 16, 2020
the cable goes from the fan to the block on top of my ryzen CPUm not directly into my motherboard, is that where I should unplug from. Also, I tried unplugging but It would not budge, should i try pulling harder or does that mean its not supposed to come out

D

Deleted member 2720853

the cable goes from the fan to the block on top of my ryzen CPUm not directly into my motherboard, is that where I should unplug from. Also, I tried unplugging but It would not budge, should i try pulling harder or does that mean its not supposed to come out
Before doing anything take a picture and upload it to imgur, then link it here, that description is a bit confusing

Jun 16, 2020
I am not 100% but when my pc is idle or not doing much the pc according NZXT is aroudn 40 degrees C which is very low and my pc is very very loud, so I assume it is running faster than it needs to be, especailly since when I am playing games the PC temperature raises obviously but the fans don't get any louder. my specs are:
Ryzen 7 3700x
AMD am4 prime b450M-A motherboard
2x8 gb Ram at 3000mhz

I think those should be the only relevant specs but I also have
RTX 2070 super
1tb nvme ssd

TRENDING THREADS