Question Why are my games crashing when my card only hits 72C and 100% load?

supert567

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all. My Gtx 980 ti just kicked the bucket the other day so i installed my gtx 760 as a filler until my new card comes in next week. I properly uninstalled the old graphics drivers and reinstalled proper ones for the 760. Though when I open up any game to try and play (Mainly WoW or Overwatch) the game crashes. So i started watching the temp of it, and even set a fan curve. I noticed the card hits 100% load and exactly 72C before the game itself crashes. Never the pc itself, and never higher than 72C as msi afterburner and other programs track it. The computer is also completely stable when idle, or on youtube/netflix. I'm not sure what to do, nor am i the most tech savvy. I'm more concerned that it could be a psu issue, I saw someone say that it could be possible for it to not hold enough charge to pump the right amount of watts or something of those sorts, i don't know how true that would be though it was working fine for a 980 ti. My psu is the Evga Supernova 850W 80+ Gold. And my cpu is the i7 6700k @4.2Ghz. Any help would be appreciated! Otherwise I won't be gaming until the 980 gets in, and i hope this problem doesn't persist with it as well.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
72c isn't a temperature to worry about nor is GPU working 100%.

What kind of crashing are you experiencing? Freezing? Bsod? Reboots?

What happened to 980Ti?

Cpu/memory instability are common causes for software crashes. The OS usually recovers from a GPU driver error if there's no response or inappropriate action from the card.

Could be software too, a reset might be an idea.

Reboots/shutdowns are usually PSU territory. Ram can cause reboots too without a bsod screen so I'd troubleshoot memory to rule them out. Run memtest86 with all sets of ram or try each individually and see if all ram has been registered in bios and Windows and no big portion in reserved as that can indicate certain ram cells can't be mapped properly / ram going bad.