[SOLVED] Why are my HDDs transferring slowly?

AMadWalnut

Honorable
Sep 8, 2014
Recently my main storage drive (Toshiba P300) started giving a SMART error on boot so I'm trying to transfer all the files on it to its replacement (WD Purple 4 TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive). Right now I am trying to transfer a game of 52Gb and the initial copy speed peaked at 28Mb/s, which could be higher, but whatever, I had a few minutes to wait. This then fell to its current rate, 355 KB/s, and has remained there overnight.

I'm not an expert so I could've missed something really obvious, or is this related to the SMART error? Any advice, comments, or if there's an existing post that I couldn't find I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Solution
You can check that drives SMART values with CrystalDisk Info.
Post a link to a screenshot of it here for us, lets see how bad it is.

Might be smart to check all your drives too.

AMadWalnut

Honorable
Sep 8, 2014
Just "SMART detected HDD failure", is there a way to get more information out of it? I tried transferring files to an external hard drive and tried transferring files between two other internal hard drives and the problem is definitely with the faulty hard drive. Is there any way to recover these files or are they lost forever?

Out of interest, it's not a particular file that slows down, it's any file from the hard drive. Is this to do with how HDDs store a file across multiple sectors?

Appreciate the reply, even if there's no way to sort it out.

AMadWalnut

Honorable
Sep 8, 2014
There's nothing particularly precious on it, just games. It's an inconvenience more than anything. I'll accept the loss, give my other drives a check and move on. Thanks for your responses!