Question [SOLVED] Why are my ports not open?

achamberlain65

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
I'm trying to open a port for a private server for my friends to join me. I have forwarded the port for the host computer's ip. I have tried turning off the firewall on both the router and windows 10. I have tried other ports as well. I have made my computer's ip static via "Network and Sharing" properties window. Tried rebooting router. Allowed the ports in windows firewall. And yet to no avail... Server is on when I check on canyouseeme.org. If i'm missing anything that would be needed just let me know! But if someone could atleast lead me to the right direction or even help via screen share? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I have no clue what is going on. I downloaded DUC from no-ip.com and it redirects me to my router login?

Last edited:
You need to first check that the ip on your wan port is the same as the ip you see on whatsmyip or in the port scanning programs. You can try to put your server IP in as DMZ instead of port forwarding. It is not a good idea long term but it will show you if there is a error in your port forwarding configuration since dmz forwards all ports.

achamberlain65

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
I tried DMZ and all the ports ive tried are still closed. And on my router it doesn’t show a WAN IP but it does show an IPv4 address? And that doesn’t match my ipchicken.org ip.

If the IP do not match that means there is another NAT router in the path. This is likely in the ISP network and you have no access. This means it is impossible to port forward. You will need to talk with your ISP to see if you can get a actual ip address assigned to your router

achamberlain65

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to port forward a server so my friends could join me. Here are the steps I've taken:

• Port forwarded port in router
  • Turned off router firewall
  • Added rules to Windows Firewall (Windows 10)
  • Turned off Windows Firewall
  • Called ISP they do not block ports
  • Only 1 router being used
  • Used 'Port Query' to make sure the server was 'Listening'
  • Tried restarting router
  • Shut off Windows Defender
  • Shut off & Uninstalled Comodo Antivirus
  • Made IP Static
  • Can connect with a different computer using internal ip but not external (Even tried Xampp and used my phone while off wifi and nothing)
  • Also tried DMZ Hosting to the PC I am hosting the server on but it still will not connect using external IP even off wifi
I don't know what else to try or do to get these ports to open. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:

Information
  • Router: Calix 844G-1
  • PC: Windows 10
  • Anti Virus: Windows Defender

Last edited: