Question Why are my ram slots behaving so oddly?

Jan 7, 2019
After buying new ram and inserting it into the pc, it would ramp up, faster than usual, and not show anything on the screen, if I keep my ram in the first slot, it works fine, if I put it in the third or fourth slot, it’s not detected but still works fine, but if I use the second slot, it ramps up very quickly and doesn’t display anything...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What RAM did you buy? Specs?

What are you using to "detect" RAM? Are there error messages or pop-up windows?

What you must do is to read the applicable User Guide/Manual for your motherboard.

Determine what RAM modules and configurations are supported. Match your RAM "insertions"/installations accordingly.

Jan 7, 2019
After buying new ram and inserting it into the pc, it would ramp up, faster than usual, and not show anything on the screen, if I keep my ram in the first slot, it works fine, if I put it in the third or fourth slot, it’s not detected but still works fine, but if I use the second slot, it ramps up very quickly and doesn’t display anything...
I am using windows 10 with a prime b450m a motherboard, I had previously 24 gb consisting of 1 8gb 3200mhz hyperx fury, one 8gb 2133mhz red dragon, and 2 4gb of 2400mhz hyperx fury. I bought 2 new 8gb 3200mhz from a different person on eBay (prolly not good) and when I had the sticks in I ran the Windows memory tool thing. I’m getting no messages, it’s either not detected or it’s not displaying, I tried every configuration with both my new and old ram and only one slot seemed to work, but not with the new ram

Jan 7, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What RAM did you buy? Specs?

What are you using to "detect" RAM? Are there error messages or pop-up windows?

What you must do is to read the applicable User Guide/Manual for your motherboard.

Determine what RAM modules and configurations are supported. Match your RAM "insertions"/installations accordingly.
I am using windows 10 with a prime b450m a motherboard, I had previously 24 gb consisting of 1 8gb 3200mhz hyperx fury, one 8gb 2133mhz red dragon, and 2 4gb of 2400mhz hyperx fury. I bought 2 new 8gb 3200mhz from a different person on eBay (prolly not good) and when I had the sticks in I ran the Windows memory tool thing. I’m getting no messages, it’s either not detected or it’s not displaying, I tried every configuration with both my new and old ram and only one slot seemed to work, but not with the new ram

Ralston18

Titan
"What could that be from?"

This:

" I tried every configuration with both my new and old ram and only one slot seemed to work, but not with the new ram"

You must read the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for two reasons: 1) that the installed RAM modules are supported by your motherboard, and 2) that you have correctly installed and configured the RAM modules.

Go back to a basic RAM installation (starting with a single RAM module if necessary) to get functional again.

Then methodically test the other RAM modules one at a time to verify that each one works. Including the "ebay" modules.

Then per the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual, try pairing the modules. Install/slot according to the instructions.

However as mentioned by @geofelt, using unmatched/mixed modules from different kits is indeed asking for trouble.

Go by how the slots are laid out in the manual, and but the slower RAM in the first channel (2 slots) and the faster RAM in the second channel (2 slots). If that doesn't work, return the RAM you bought for RAM that matches the speed of your existing RAM (the RAM you are keeping).