Question Why are my sensors the only thing that don't work on this cable?

Apr 17, 2019
I have a pretty large play area. So I use a 10M CableMatters USB 3.0 active extension cable and a 2000mA power supply, Connected to a powered USB hub for my front sensors. This worked very well for a long time but unfortunately got less and less consistent over time. Last week however, it's stopped working all together. As i experimented with my cables (switching the order they plug into the back of my PC tower) I got the USB power surge error. with more SCIENCE i learned that both the cable and the USB hub were dead. They appear to have been killed by a power surge or something. So I ordered a new cable, and a new USB hub. I plugged everything in and presto, worked great as i re-calibrated my Oculus Rift. I unplugged it, so i could hide do some cable management, and hide all the cables. Plugged it back it...doesn't work anymore... So i do some more experiementing.

Note that my play area is in the center of a home theater. I have two other USB hubs set up in this room for convenience. If i plug my oculus sensors into any of them, they will work. if i plug other USB devices (phone, flash keys) into the new hub, they will work. if i plug that new hub directly into the computer, with the oculus sensors, they will work. If i use another cablematers cable, it will work (it's half the length though, so it wont do). basically everything works over this cable, except the sensors... why is it my computer refuses to even detect these sensors are plugged in if i use this cable? was some sort of safety feature triggered after whatever damaged the old hub?

i've tried uninstalling the drivers, i've tried a fresh windows install, bios is up to date, USB drivers are up to date. USB controlled used is the ASMedia one that came integrated into my MSI M7 z270. I've posted this to 4 other forums already, including the oculus forum and received no replies. I'l seriously appreciate any insight here.

Apr 17, 2019
I have tried every USB port from my motherboard. It is not the same hub I was using before, but it is the same hub I use for my rear sensors. Also, it did work once. And... if I plug that hub into my pc directly, it works. Also if I plug the sensors directly into the sable, it does not work. So far the issue is this specific cable + oculus sensor = not even the chime from windows. Any other usb device will work through it though.

Last edited:

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
My understanding is that 900ma is sufficient power to power those sensor with powered usb extension cables, you might have to buy the startech usb3.0 pcie card that has one controller for a total of 4 for 4 usb connections and it needs to be connected to sata or molex to power those devices and its bit costly around $120 but does work well for me i have 3 sensors and hmd connected to it with 10ft powered usb extensions for sensors, not sure if it helps but its a good investment for me as i too have very large 20sq.ft play area.

Apr 17, 2019
I just returned the cable and exchanged for a slightly more expensive one. Working fine now. I guess if this thread establishes anything, it’s that I can not recommended CableMatters products.