[SOLVED] Why are my speakers producing a buzzing sound whenever the Hard Drive Activity Light is lit?

DoGood3000

Prominent
Mar 31, 2020
This has been ongoing for a long time, but I remember a time when this was not the case. I won't be able to provide you any details on what caused this to happen on my part.

As per the title, whenever the blinking red light or HDD Activity Light usually found on front of a computer case is "on", it is simultaneously followed by a buzzing sound from my speaker. The buzz is very noticeable when I turn up the volume, and it can be mildly annoying to head-spinningly irritating.

Thank you for your time!

RAM: 8 GB
HDD: Yes
Speaker Brand: Edifier
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H
Sound Cards: AMD HD Audio Device
Realtek HD Audio

Solution
May be a short where current related to the HDD and/or Activity Light is also "leaking" into the audio circuits.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, cables, jumpers, RAM are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs that some wire is pinched with respect to case, speakers, and other components. Or maybe plainly loose or even unconnected.

I/O Panel area is a good starting point - but look everywhere.

Use a bright flashlight to peer into all the nooks and crannies.

And, if necessary, take the opportunity to clean the case of dust and debris if that has not been done.

Ralston18

Titan
May be a short where current related to the HDD and/or Activity Light is also "leaking" into the audio circuits.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, cables, jumpers, RAM are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs that some wire is pinched with respect to case, speakers, and other components. Or maybe plainly loose or even unconnected.

I/O Panel area is a good starting point - but look everywhere.

Use a bright flashlight to peer into all the nooks and crannies.

And, if necessary, take the opportunity to clean the case of dust and debris if that has not been done.

Solution