Question Why are sTR4 socket 3 times the price as AM4 motherboards?

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I was looking to build a budget computer for video editing and maybe some basic gaming. I was looking to get any AMD Ryzen processor. I did not care if it was Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 or whatever happen to be on sale at the time.

I happen to check on ebay and got a deal on a Threadripper 1900X for around a low price under the ebay deals section.

When I went to look for motherboard, everything was in the over $400+ range when I normally buy a computer, my motherboard is under $100.

I see that the AM4 socket motherboard are normal price but the sTR4 are all insanely priced. Does anyone know why?

If I had known this threatripper had such an expensive motherboard, I would have stuck with something that uses the AM4 socket instead.

Thanks.

I was looking to build a budget computer for video editing and maybe some basic gaming. I was looking to get any AMD Ryzen processor. I did not care if it was Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 or whatever happen to be on sale at the time.

I happen to check on ebay and got a deal on a Threadripper 1900X for around a low price under the ebay deals section.

When I went to look for motherboard, everything was in the over $400+ range when I normally buy a computer, my motherboard is under $100.

I see that the AM4 socket motherboard are normal price but the sTR4 are all insanely priced. Does anyone know why?

If I had known this threatripper had such an expensive motherboard, I would have stuck with something that uses the AM4 socket instead.

Thanks.
Threadripper and TR4 are already into professional bracket, not your average consumer PC. There's much more to it than just a socket. If you don't really need all the Threadripper features like increased number of PCIe lanes and memory management and capacity, you'd be better off with 3900/39050 and just solid X470 MB.