[SOLVED] Why are the 4090s a little bit more expensive now?

Sep 8, 2023
The 4090 was always the most expensive gpu, of course, it's the fastest gpu right now. But the cheapest 4090 used to be around 1699.99$ or something like that. Now it's around 1999.99$ including shipping. I'm not a guy who reads the news, so i want to know why the 4090 is more expensive now. Also google doesn't give a definitive answer, atleast i don't think so.

Solution
There are a few tinfoil hat responses going around.

1 they are slowing production to inflate price for the new 4080 ti or super or whatever they are calling it to slot in between the 4080 and 4090.
2 everything they had in stock they shipped to china trying to beat the export restriction.
3 or it could be the halt of production to switch over to the newer 12v-2x6 connector that uses longer pins to try and stop the socket from melting if the power cable gets pulled out a little.

Or you could watch this for Jayztwocents

USAFRet

Titan
The 4090 was always the most expensive gpu, of course, it's the fastest gpu right now. But the cheapest 4090 used to be around 1699.99$ or something like that. Now it's around 1999.99$ including shipping. I'm not a guy who reads the news, so i want to know why the 4090 is more expensive now. Also google doesn't give a definitive answer, atleast i don't think so.
Was $1700
Now $2000

BlackFriday sales
$200 OFF on a 4090!! Only $1800!!! $200 OFF! BUY NOW!!!!

1 they are slowing production to inflate price for the new 4080 ti or super or whatever they are calling it to slot in between the 4080 and 4090.
2 everything they had in stock they shipped to china trying to beat the export restriction.
3 or it could be the halt of production to switch over to the newer 12v-2x6 connector that uses longer pins to try and stop the socket from melting if the power cable gets pulled out a little.

Solution
Sep 8, 2023

Best response, thanks!

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One missing related theory to #2 is they are switching over their fab time to make more AI chips since that will net them more money. With the new restrictions they did make a new chip specifically for China and that would need to be made en masse to fill demand. Halting 4090 production in favor of Hopper chips would make a lot more financial sense.

Reactions: Order 66
Sep 8, 2023
Also because Nvidia thinks that by limiting the supply of the 4090, they will sell more of the other 40 series cards, which they probably won't considering people shopping at that price point will just go for a 7900xtx unless they need Nvidia.
Yeah, also they can just buy used 4090 from ebay which will not give money to nvdia (atleast i think so not sure).

Latest posts