[SOLVED] Why are video game files so big?

Nov 9, 2019
Just recently buying new game releases off of Origin. Some of the big name games like Battlefront and Battlefield take up a whopping 70-80gbs of storage space! Just a few years ago I remember only have to downloading 10-20gbs worth of data.

Solution
Just recently buying new game releases off of Origin. Some of the big name games like Battlefront and Battlefield take up a whopping 70-80gbs of storage space! Just a few years ago I remember only have to downloading 10-20gbs worth of data.
Because there is an immense amount of data.
Large scale images in absurdly good quality 3D takes a lot of pixels.

USAFRet

Titan
Because there is an immense amount of data.
Large scale images in absurdly good quality 3D takes a lot of pixels.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Meanwhile, Doom 3 from the early 2000s is just 1.5gb. Games have gotten more advanced and limitless over time, so games need more space.

With large capacity SSDs and hard drives relatively inexpensive, this isn't too big of a deal.
Years ago, there was a minor outrage about Falcon 4.0 and the drive space it consumed.
40 megabytes.
This was when 120 megabytes drives were appearing on the store shelves.

Remeca

Reputable
It boils down to higher resolution textures, and more of them, with all the new shaders being introduced, higher poly models for everything, as well as just generally bigger levels with more unique geometry and details, and more sound files, both environment and voice acting, at higher quality.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
That game engine combined with DX12 texture, overlay, map, terrace, etc
Also most game features 4K feature

Last edited by a moderator:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Well this is why I always advise people to buy no less than a 2TB drive. My Hitman 2 takes up to 90 gbs of space. A 1TB drive is hardly more than chicken feed if you have multiple games installed.

All the crap we have to endure on PC comes from the consoles being so crappy,hopefully this new gen will be the breaking point making the consoles close enough to low end gaming PCs that the coding techniques for consoles won't crap all over the actual PCs.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...file-size-games-load-and-install-much-faster/
Cerny points out that some games have to duplicate data to make sure the hard drive keeps picking it up—making for some massive files sizes we see in games today—specifically using Spider-Man‘s lampposts and random citizens as an example. He even points out with Spider-Man that some data is duplicated up to 400 times.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
When consoles can't avoid blame from PC gamers even when they use games that aren't even on PC as an argument. 😂
It's the method they are using on every game,I just copied the first link that came up on google and it happened to be about spider man.
Also they are clearly talking about how this will influence any game on the PS5 the bloody title of the article is:
"The PlayStation 5’s SSD Could Reduce Game File Sizes"

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
It's the method they are using on every game,I just copied the first link that came up on google and it happened to be about spider man.
Also they are clearly talking about how this will influence any game on the PS5 the bloody title of the article is:
"The PlayStation 5’s SSD Could Reduce Game File Sizes"

Yeah I get it, read the article. What does this have to do with PC games? Why is my file size for Hitman 2 twice the size as the console versions? Am I supposed to somehow blame this on a console when I have it installed on an SSD? :unsure:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
It makes sense. The PC version has options for higher resolution textures and things lime that that take up space.

But so does the console version in some of these games. Some of these games have options for higher resolutions, yet they still end up being much smaller in file size than the PC versions. I think this just boils down to the games being much easier to optimize on a console due to the manufactures themselves providing development kits. But in the mind of the PC elitist, this is the consoles fault. I swear their minds are in another universe, the mental gymnastics they go through to blame anything they can on consoles.

woot

Distinguished
games get bigger and bigger due to complexity, just wait till someone makes a game that simulates an entire universe!

woot

Distinguished
Or the whole earth, like what Microsoft is trying to achieve with Flight Simulator 2020. I'm curious what the file size will be for that game.
ive seen the screenshots of FS 2020, and it looks mindblowingly realistic, however it will use cloud data from bing and AI to generate the terrian, i dont think it will be break any records in terms of file size.