Why are we spending money on overpriced underpowered graphic cards

DUMPnSHELLS

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I bought a nvidia geforce FX 5700 ultra that had 128mb ram and was 256 bit i now have quite some years later a amd radeon r9 2gb 256 bit card. What i want to know is why we all settle for this we should be buying 2 gb 512 bit for that money. For the price of the r9 290 it should be 4gb 1024 bit how many years has it been this is all a scam to make people buy multiple cards and spend more money on worthless mass amounts of memory of course the gpu itself is improving but why worthless amounts of memory thats not backed by a good bit interface 256 bit cards should be like the 64 bit cards 10 years ago and 512 bit should be the mid card this is all horse shit in plain english to get people to buy 2 cards when all they need is one. AMD r9 290 should be 3gb of 1024 bit memory and that would make the 4 gb 512 bit 290 look like a 6800ultra(thats a joke of course) i mean come on the 5700 ultra was 256 bit 10 years ago come on! and if you get 2 cards sure you have 2 gpu and x2 the bit interface but now you have a mass amount of worthless memory.Dual video cards really dont impact many games to begin with. But go ahead think that you 4 gb of ram is worth 400 bucks or more thats what they want you to think

Solution
For every bit on the memory bus, you need at least two pins on the bottom of the chip (in addition to all the power, PCIe, outputs etc.). Which means that your chip gets very large very fast, and the PCB gets ridiculously complicated.

As such, don't expect memory width to increase substantially. Memory bandwidth will go up with memory frequency, and the number of shaders and clock rates will rise, but memory has to exit the silicon.
The memory bandwidth makes some difference. But its the GPU that really counts. The clocks on both are now a lot higher than they used to be. GPUs have a hell of a lot more processors in them. And the processors themselves are better and use lower power.

DUMPnSHELLS

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
thats rubbish its all a marketing scheme the clocks are not that much higher. My radeon 3850 was 800 or so and my r9 is 950 975 bit interface is the power thats why none of these cards have it ive been buliding pc for almost 20 years this ridiculess yes i will agree the gpu is the only thing really keeping these cards as a improvement but bit is where the power is even the consoles followed this from 8 bit to 256 bit now pc is just going down hill

For every bit on the memory bus, you need at least two pins on the bottom of the chip (in addition to all the power, PCIe, outputs etc.). Which means that your chip gets very large very fast, and the PCB gets ridiculously complicated.

As such, don't expect memory width to increase substantially. Memory bandwidth will go up with memory frequency, and the number of shaders and clock rates will rise, but memory has to exit the silicon.

Solution

DUMPnSHELLS

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
i think if they can put 4 or 6 cores in a cpu the same size as a p4 then they can make cards with 1024 bit interface im sure that card would play very well besides the gpu and the memory comunicate thru the bit interface so more bit will be more quicker

DUMPnSHELLS

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

You obviously know something about what you are talking about those silly pins are keeping them from making progress on higher bit interface so they have gone to do like you were saying thanks for taking the time to answer my question i wont feel so short changed