[SOLVED] Why aren't my Bluetooth headphones pairing with my new Bluetooth dongle?

cfly

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Here's the scoop:

My computer is around 3 years old, pre-made and did not come bluetooth capable. I bought a pair of $300 Sony headphones, about a year ago, for the noise cancellation but fell in love with the quality of the sound. The headphones came with a wire port in it so I just connected my headphones to my speakers and was fine. Now the wire port is broken and I'm trying to find a way to use the headphones with my computer without buying a brand new expensive pair of headphones.

So, I bought a Bluetooth dongle (Insignia NS-PCY5BMA). According to the instructions, I just need to plug the dongle in, let windows download the drivers and I should be good to go. Nope.

This is what I've done so far and other pertinent info:

• I restarted the computer after the dongle updated its drivers.
  • I checked to see if the dongle software is up to date. It is.
  • I turned off all other connections my headphones remembered.
  • The headphones are about 2 ft. from the dongle.
  • I looked in settings/devices/bluetooth and other devices to see if the device was showing and if Bluetooth was on. Both are a yes.
  • I looked in device manager to see if it was showing in there. It is.
  • I looked in the "more bluetooth options" link under "bluetooth and other devices" tab and check-marked "allow bluetooth devices to find this PC." Still doesn't work.
  • I tried pairing a different set of bluetooth headphones I have to the dongle. Still didn't work.
  • I tried the "add bluetooth and other device" under the bluetooth tab in settings. Neither pair of headphones showed up while my computer searched a signal.
  • I installed Toshiba's free Bluetooth stack software but it told me the operating system was not adequate for the software. I already have Windows 10 ver 1903 installed so I'm not sure what this means.

I have a new bluetooth mouse connected as well, but I've been told multiple times that the mouse won't interfere with the dongle's signal. So basically, I'm at a loss as to why nothing's working. Does anybody know why or have any other options I can try?

If you need more information, please let me know and I'll get it to you as soon as I can.

Thank you!

Solution
To anyone who reads this:

The answer to this was read the manual and learn how to force pairing with the headphones you have. Mine needed the power button held for 7 seconds before it would force pairing mode, something I forgot because I never used these headphones with a Bluetooth dongle. I hope this will help anyone else that is confused as I was.

cfly

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
To anyone who reads this:

The answer to this was read the manual and learn how to force pairing with the headphones you have. Mine needed the power button held for 7 seconds before it would force pairing mode, something I forgot because I never used these headphones with a Bluetooth dongle. I hope this will help anyone else that is confused as I was.

Solution