Question Why arent my drives showing up?

Romeski

Commendable
Jun 27, 2019
I built my first PC today and all went smoothly. I installed my M.2 drive only while I installed windows but had the power plugged into my 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD. Everything is working fine but my SSD and HDD aren't showing up when I look in file explorer. I checked in BIOS and it says my Crucial MX500 is there and the 2TB Seagate is recognised but not when i look in file explorer. I made it so empty drives wouldn't be hidden but nothing has changed. What could it be?

USAFRet

Titan
New system...you need to start over.

Power OFF
Disconnect ALL drives except the one you want the OS on - the M.2 drive.
After the OS is all up and running, then reconnect the other drives.

And you can't currently see them in 'windows' is because there is no volume and they have not been formatted yet.

But do start over.

Romeski

Commendable
Jun 27, 2019
New system...you need to start over.

Power OFF
Disconnect ALL drives except the one you want the OS on - the M.2 drive.
After the OS is all up and running, then reconnect the other drives.

And you can't currently see them in 'windows' is because there is no volume and they have not been formatted yet.

But do start over.
that's what I did when I first installed windows, just had the M.2 in, the SSD and HDD had no SATA connections.
Are you saying I need to reinstall everything again? clean the M.2 and reinstall windows?

USAFRet

Titan
that's what I did when I first installed windows, just had the M.2 in, the SSD and HDD had no SATA connections.
Are you saying I need to reinstall everything again? clean the M.2 and reinstall windows?
I guess I misread your initial.
I thought you had the other drives actually connected when you did the install on the M.2 drive.
If you didn't, no need to redo it.

Your current drives not showing up?
Either they are simply Unallocated, or the specific motherboard ports they are connected to are disabled by use of the M.2 drive, or both.

What specific parts are in this?
Drives, motherboard, etc, etc.

Romeski

Commendable
Jun 27, 2019
I guess I misread your initial.
I thought you had the other drives actually connected when you did the install on the M.2 drive.
If you didn't, no need to redo it.

Your current drives not showing up?
Either they are simply Unallocated, or the specific motherboard ports they are connected to are disabled by use of the M.2 drive, or both.

What specific parts are in this?
Drives, motherboard, etc, etc.
I installed OS on the MP510 480GB
The motherboard is the Z270H Gaming
SSD is a crucialMX500 1TB and the HDD is a 2TB Seagate barracuda
GTX 1060, i7 7700K

USAFRet

Titan
Looks like this?
TMdSWaN.png