[SOLVED] Why Believe AMD on Ryzen 3 Processor Release Date?

montyw47

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
The Ryzen Zen 3 5000 family had a release date of Nov 3 to Nov 5 depending on which press release you listen to. Non Jan 5 2021 2 months later no one can obtain any 5000 series processors on any quantity, no matter the part number from lowest to most powerful. Of the 5600X cpus in the field, I have been hearing that most of the 5600x cpus are defective. AMD support for RMA are being ignored. Has AAMD turned into a scam? I know we are in an epidemic. Maybe AMD should NOT announce any product they can't deliver in quantity other than lab samples. Now they are announcing APU & GPU Their credibility for delivering products is in the trash as far as I am concerned. Over 2 months from release date of Nov 5 2020 to January 5 and still no products. I hated Intel before and now AMD is pulling the same tricks. What does the community think?

Solution
The Ryzen Zen 3 5000 family had a release date of Nov 3 to Nov 5 depending on which press release you listen to. Non Jan 5 2021 2 months later no one can obtain any 5000 series processors on any quantity..
Tech products just do not have a long shelf life. AMD obviously would love to sell everything they can while it's at the top of the game, but there's a whole lot going on that prevents them doing more.

So first, and obvious, is that launch demand is obviously very heavy for new CPU's and the entire supply chain is severely restricted. I've read articles on backups of semi's at distribution centers because they don't have labor available to unload them. It's affected more than just computing gear... I've not been able to get...
The Ryzen Zen 3 5000 family had a release date of Nov 3 to Nov 5 depending on which press release you listen to. Non Jan 5 2021 2 months later no one can obtain any 5000 series processors on any quantity, no matter the part number from lowest to most powerful. Of the 5600X cpus in the field, I have been hearing that most of the 5600x cpus are defective. AMD support for RMA are being ignored. Has AAMD turned into a scam? I know we are in an epidemic. Maybe AMD should NOT announce any product they can't deliver in quantity other than lab samples. Now they are announcing APU & GPU Their credibility for delivering products is in the trash as far as I am concerned. Over 2 months from release date of Nov 5 2020 to January 5 and still no products. I hated Intel before and now AMD is pulling the same tricks. What does the community think?
Are you considering extra high demand due to good performance/price? Mid and top end GPUs are even harder to find.

DSzymborski

Titan

None of this makes much sense. Of course AMD wants to be able to deliver more CPUs. But there are supply constraints right now with all technology. And the stuff about the 5600X being defective is black helicopter nonsense; they're not delivering lab samples.

Why would releasing nothing be preferable to releasing what can be produced? Do you also think that nobody should be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine until there are 15 billion doses ready?

The Ryzen Zen 3 5000 family had a release date of Nov 3 to Nov 5 depending on which press release you listen to. Non Jan 5 2021 2 months later no one can obtain any 5000 series processors on any quantity..
Tech products just do not have a long shelf life. AMD obviously would love to sell everything they can while it's at the top of the game, but there's a whole lot going on that prevents them doing more.

So first, and obvious, is that launch demand is obviously very heavy for new CPU's and the entire supply chain is severely restricted. I've read articles on backups of semi's at distribution centers because they don't have labor available to unload them. It's affected more than just computing gear... I've not been able to get GFI/AFI circuit breakers for my home renovation project. I can imagine it's the same at ports where ships aren't getting unloaded in as timely a manner as before.

But on top of that, it could easily be AMD has tapped out their 7nm wafer allotment and options. TSMC just doesn't have the capacity right now to provide AMD with 7nm wafers for CPU's (and GPU's) for desktop, server, HEDT markets as well as GPU's and game centers. Speaking of gaming centers (PlayStation, XBox), they have solid multi-year contracts that will get serviced preferentially so that's where a lot of their wafer allotment will be directed.

The next most obvious priority to get 7nm wafer's is for server CPU's (Epyc, Rome). That has to be a corporate priority: take as much market share as possible while you can. Conservative data centers will be less likely to jump ship once Intel has got back to a performance parity so now's the time to get them embedded with your ecosystem.

Recent articles have indicated TSMC is charging a premium for additional 7nm wafer production, which only makes sense as more companies are going to them. Nvidia does too, for their 3000 series GPU's (I understand Samsung's 7nm process isn't working out so well for them). I strongly suspect that's the biggest bottleneck. Just not enough 7nm wafers to go around so something's got to give and it only makes sense the desktop market, especially the fickle DIY segment, is going to be the loser.

Last edited:
Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I do not know what region you are in, but here in Southern California I can get one. There are private sellers on Craigslist & on Ebay selling unopened ones. Sure they are $100 over MSRP, but I can get one. All the skews were in stock at the Micro Center near me at launch, and the 5800x was in stock for a few weeks, and even came back in stock. So I could have gotten one at MSRP if I wanted. Basically if I had given a damn I could have picked one up at micro center and sold it for $200 over MSRP if I wanted. If you really want one just go to Ebay, but you will be paying the price of a higher skew for a lower skew. Another thing to consider is on top of the low availability and the pandemic, people got wise to what the scalpers did with Invidia's 3000 series and said "hey I can do that." Everyone is just trying to make a buck.