[SOLVED] Why BIOS did not detect my Internal Sata Drive

d_animality

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Hi i have 3 hardisks installed in my system, all SATA Drive. my PC just got BSOD several times due to faulty RAM...during that time i noticed 1 of the drive which usually works perfectly suddenly not detected in BIOS

I thought that was just some glitch, then I bought RAM replacement, and now my PC is working perfectly except that one hasrdisk, still is not detected in BIOS ... what is wrong here? and how can diagnose the problem?

hoping to get some guidance soon

Ferimer

Distinguished
Is it not being shown at all when you are fully booted? some options you can try is taking the other storage (non OS) hard disk and try swapping them using the same wires. If the one that isn't showing in the BIOS does show up with all the same wires then it could be the SATA plug in on your motherboard. if the other one shows in BIOS plugged into the one you say that isn't then it could be the wires.

d_animality

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Yes it is not shown at all when booted, not even from disk mgmt

I tried swapping the cables with the other hardisk, it is not working, as if nothing being attched.. is it possible that bad sectors causing this?

Ferimer

Distinguished
I will try this soon and will update, since ill work overnight for 2 days, if (just in case) the cable is not the problem, what else would it be?
I dont know hence why i am asking you to not swap the cables but just where the Drive is plugged into. If the drive that is working DOES work in the SATA drive where the non working one is then it could be the Drive failed. If the One that is working DOESNT work in the SATA drive where the non working one is plugged into then it could be the SATA drive that failed. Did the working drive work with the cable from the non working drive? if so then it is not the cables. Could be either the SATA port or the Disk Drive itself

d_animality

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Okay i bought the HDD adapter - the hardisk is spinning when i plugged it in but it doesn't show anything on my computer, does it mean that its dead?

I downloaded SeaTools to check but it hangs on scanning the UBS - which is where the hardisk should be

What is wrong here?

d_animality

Reputable
May 9, 2019
I actually need the adapter for my other purpose... so now i have it, i might use it for the hardisk as well... and i tried swapping the cables still cannot access it... i guess something is off with the HDD ... ao sad i cant even get the files in it

Ferimer

Distinguished
I actually need the adapter for my other purpose... so now i have it, i might use it for the hardisk as well... and i tried swapping the cables still cannot access it... i guess something is off with the HDD ... ao sad i cant even get the files in it
DId you try plugging it into a different SATA port on your motherboard to see if maybe the SATA port it was plugged into fried or something?

Ferimer

Distinguished
I used the cables that work with my other HDD, but then i plugged in the damaged HDD and still nothing shows up
lol Okay the SATA Cables and SATA Ports are two different things here. the cables send power to the HDD through the SATA Port. MY questions are regarding the PORT itself whether that port is still functioning. you say the HDD spins up and makes noise but is not being registered. So i am not sure for certain that the drive itself is dead and that there may be an issue with the PORT the "non working" HDD was plugged into. I wanted you to take the WORKING HDD DRIVE that is being read still and plug it into the SATA PORT that the other non working drive was plugged into to see if it registers on the system or not. Have you done that?

d_animality

Reputable
May 9, 2019
lol Okay the SATA Cables and SATA Ports are two different things here. the cables send power to the HDD through the SATA Port. MY questions are regarding the PORT itself whether that port is still functioning. you say the HDD spins up and makes noise but is not being registered. So i am not sure for certain that the drive itself is dead and that there may be an issue with the PORT the "non working" HDD was plugged into. I wanted you to take the WORKING HDD DRIVE that is being read still and plug it into the SATA PORT that the other non working drive was plugged into to see if it registers on the system or not. Have you done that?

lol ok this is confusing, let me label them.. the working hdd is HDDA and the non-working is HDDB..

HDDA can be read and is working properly, so i switched the HDDB using whatever port HDDA is connected to and nothing appears...

and i also inserted HDDA to whatever port HDDB is connected to and it is still working..

Thus, i think there is something wrong with HDDB, although it still spins but it is not detected... wonder what is wrong here... when i connect it to my adapter, it makes the blink sound (when u insert USB drive) it spins and after several minutes it gave out another blink sound (when u take out ur USB)... and it goes on and on like that

Ferimer

Distinguished
lol ok this is confusing, let me label them.. the working hdd is HDDA and the non-working is HDDB..

HDDA can be read and is working properly, so i switched the HDDB using whatever port HDDA is connected to and nothing appears...

and i also inserted HDDA to whatever port HDDB is connected to and it is still working..

Thus, i think there is something wrong with HDDB, although it still spins but it is not detected... wonder what is wrong here... when i connect it to my adapter, it makes the blink sound (when u insert USB drive) it spins and after several minutes it gave out another blink sound (when u take out ur USB)... and it goes on and on like that
Okay then it is a dead drive.