[SOLVED] Why BIOS has no options for overclocking ?

Jan 29, 2021
hi i have a odense2-k motherboard and a 16gb ram with 3600mhz, but the bios does not give any options to overclock anything. is it possible to download some advanced options for the bios or is it just iompossible for me to get the ram speed up to 3600 mhz?

Solution
The odense2-k motherboard is used by HP in some of their pre-built desktop computers. Consequently the BIOS options are very limited compared to retail motherboards.
HP doesn't want the owner to damage the PC by excessive overclocking and then the owner expecting it to be repaired under warranty. This is standard practice across the entire factory-built PC & laptop industry.

If you want overclocking features you need to buy a custom-built PC or build your own.
The odense2-k motherboard is used by HP in some of their pre-built desktop computers. Consequently the BIOS options are very limited compared to retail motherboards.
HP doesn't want the owner to damage the PC by excessive overclocking and then the owner expecting it to be repaired under warranty. This is standard practice across the entire factory-built PC & laptop industry.

If you want overclocking features you need to buy a custom-built PC or build your own.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Office computer motherboards like Odense2-K does not support overclocking. They are made to support CPU and RAM functioning in stock mode. Fancy features like overclocking and tinkering are not tolerated. If you want RAM functioning in 3600 MHz, get appropriate board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HP, like Dell and Sony and Lenovo and every other 3rd party vendor has 1 thing in mind. Profits. The very last thing they want is to sell you a $600 pc that you can tweak in their bios to perform exactly like the $1200 pc they are also trying to sell. They believe if you wanted the $1200 pc performance, you should buy the $1200 pc, not take their cheap $600 pc and make it better.

To that end, if your pc comes with an i5, pretty much the only upgrade will be a faster i5, if you wanted an i7 or i9 then you needed to buy the more expensive model in the first place.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's been this way for 10+ years. B/H/Q chipsets do Not support OC, Z/X Do. Since most of the pc users on the planet have no interest in OC, no plans to get interested in OC, just need a pc that runs whether it's personal use or business use, HP isn't about to order a more expensive chipset and motherboard that's only going to add problems to an already understaffed and overworked Problems Department. It's cheaper all around to just supply the majority what they want/need, and leave the tweakers to build their own pc.

TRENDING THREADS