[SOLVED] Why build your own and not buy prebuilt?

Oct 26, 2020
I'm in the process of upgrading components of my 8 year old prebuilt system from Dell to make it last another few years, and planned to continue upgrading parts as needed. When I mentioned it to my brother he wondered why I wouldn't just buy a new computer and keep things simple.
I'm finding all the research into the parts interesting, but there is a steep learning curve for someone that's never dabbled in this kind of thing before.
I know its probably different for everyone, but is it possible to save money on a system by putting it together yourself, which I'm hoping it is, or is it more about choosing exactly what you want in your build rather than choosing one off the shelf ready made.

Solution
Typically, until you get into the really high-end PCs, it's cheaper to purchase a pre-built. For everyday use computers, you won't undercut PC makers like Dell, Compaq, HP, etc... In addition to that, you get the warranty service. If something goes wrong, they'll fix it (but you may be without your computer for a few weeks). If you build it yourself, you are your own tech support (with help from friendly forums like this one).

That said, if you are considering building one yourself (which I recommend), you get to choose exactly which components are put into your build. You're not in it for a profit, so you're not going to cheap out on any component if you don't have to. You choose the components (and their quality). You can balance it...
It's a bit of both.
You can save a bit of money....but not a ton.
You might save 10-20%.
Plus you can get exactly what you want.
I think the main drawback of doing it yourself is the risk of something going wrong.
I have built PCs...and I repair them for a living...but my last PC was a prebuilt just because I didn't want the headaches of doing it myself. The prebuilt was just easier.

Reactions: JohnSmith7798

Wolfshadw

Titan
Typically, until you get into the really high-end PCs, it's cheaper to purchase a pre-built. For everyday use computers, you won't undercut PC makers like Dell, Compaq, HP, etc... In addition to that, you get the warranty service. If something goes wrong, they'll fix it (but you may be without your computer for a few weeks). If you build it yourself, you are your own tech support (with help from friendly forums like this one).

That said, if you are considering building one yourself (which I recommend), you get to choose exactly which components are put into your build. You're not in it for a profit, so you're not going to cheap out on any component if you don't have to. You choose the components (and their quality). You can balance it to suit your needs, unlike pre-built systems. As touched on before, you're in control of what gets installed. No trial versions of crap software that you'd never use anyway and no manufacturer presets that limit what you can do with your system.

For those reasons, I recommend building your own computer over purchasing a pre-built even if it costs more to do so. In the end, I think you'll be much happier with the end result.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Some very good arguments.

If your main usage is for gaming, I would go the self build route.
Parts can then be more easily upgraded.

If you are unlikely to change your needs over the next 5 years, then a pre-built might be easier.

Support and warranty from a pre-built is a bit of an illusion.

Many parts will have a manufacturer's warranty the equals or exceeds the typical 1 year oem warranty.
Support may involve shipping the unit to the vendor.
That costs and you are without a pc for a while.

These forums and google will resolve many issues without having to wait on customer service to respond.

TRENDING THREADS