Why buy a R7 1800x when you can OC a R7 1700?

Krispie

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Hi,

As the title says I was wondering if there is any reason to buy the 1800x over the 1700, as from what can tell the only differences are the clock speeds (of not please inform me of other differences), which can be overclocked. I was planning to buy the 1700 and overclock it ( with an aftermarket liquid cooler in the shape of an Corsair Hydro H100i v2) to maybe even above 4GHz.

Now I'm not a pro when it comes to overclocking so I'm also wondering if there are any other possible reasons for a system crash whilst overclocking exept for overheating or lack of voltage? If not can I not simply buy the 1700 with the great cooler and get better performance than the 1800x? Just max out the Hz until the heat is overwhelming the system, which would take a lot of voltage because of the good cooler.

Thankful for any help/additional info! :)

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I see no reason at all, maybe for a business using it as a server where they don't want there IT guys manually overclocking. Even if you're not overclocking the 1700 is in my opinion still MUCH better value for money versus the 1800x.

The typical reasons for crash or instability related to a cpu overclock is lack of voltage. Or maybe a feature, such as some C state energy saving features causing instabilty when overclocked. I am not too familer with ryzen overclocking yet, but there are plenty of good ryzen OC guides out there.

Krispie

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

So what you're telling me is that as long as I input enough voltage the heat is the only issue? Also some motherboards has BIOS options which can disable (don't remember what it's called) the intentional crash to save the system from overheating when in reality it's not hot enough for that to be necessary. Is it safe?

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017

It is true that you could overclock a 1700 to get the same clock speeds as an 1800x. I believe the only real difference is "binning" meaning that the 1800x is more likely to be able to overclock higher because it is on better silicon. Maybe you'll hit the "silicon lottery" with a 1700, but chances are you will run into instability issues if you try to have an overclock 1700 keep up with an 1800x. But honestly as mentioned above I don't believe it is worth spending the money on the 1800x when the 1700 is so much cheaper and slightly less performance.

Solution

Krispie

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Thanks! I'll go for the 1700 with a water cooler and see how far I can push it then. :)