[SOLVED] Why buying direct from Crucial but product was sent from AVANT Technology?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I ordered brand new module direct from Crucial but when I tracked the package, I found that the product was sent by AVANT TECHNOLOGY O/B BROWNSVILLE, TX, US. Anybody heard of that company? How come it was not shipped by Crucial?

Solution
Crucial is a brand/sub of Micron.
Micron partners with Avant.

Avant also owns Muskin and Edge.

Avant has been in the memory biz since the beginning.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for the clarifications. I asked Crucial a few times what Avant is and why it is involved. The agent refused to say anything except that it is shipped directly from Crucial which we all know it is not.

UPS also charged me brokerage fee for international shipment. They said that shipper should have discussed with me before shipment. UPS told me to ask Crucial to pay for the brokage fee but Crucial agent said no. My only option is to refuse shipment. Given that many RAM modules are out of stock and Crucial's site also said the RAM is compatible with my NUC, shall Just pay that US$12 and be done with it?

Too bad Amazon USA restrict shipment of many computer components to Canada due to the pandemic. How come? Is it to reserve products since more people need to use computers to work at home? Everything I want cannot be shipped outside the USA.

Last edited:

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Well...Texas to Canada IS 'international'.

The 'agent' almost certainly does not know the corporate structure, and what owns who.

For instance, have you ever interacted with a company called Alphabet?
(yes you have)

Haven't heard of it.

I bought many things from Amazon USA but there was no such charge of brokerage.

I bought this RAM. What do you think? I can refuse delivery or buy somewhere else perhaps from another manufacturer.

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g26c16s4b/ct16717886

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
If it fits your NUC, sure.

And Alphabet is the parent of Google. So yes, you have...;)

Crucial's compatibility system states that it is compatible with my NUC. If I buy from other companies such as Corsair, I risk having compatibility issue. Most Crucial RAM are out of stock or sold at higher prices. Even they are available through Amazon USA, I cannot buy due to the restrictions.