[SOLVED] Why can’t I let my gpu fans run at full speed?

Mar 26, 2020
I can only let my gpu fan run to a maximum of 85 % although it’s at 90 Degrees. Tried with MSI Afterburner but same 85% barrier.
Can anybody help me?

Solution
Doing some research, it seems like a vBIOS limitation to fan RPM, not strictly a %.

Whatever 85% represents in terms of RPM (can be viewed in software) is the upper end the vBIOS allows - same with the lower end.

A vBIOS flash might allow the fan to spin a bit faster, but chances are there's a reason for such a limitation.

You're likely to achieve better results in cleaning out the card of dust and a reapply of the thermal paste.
Mar 26, 2020
I am new here on this Forum sorry. My system is a i7 860 with 8 gb ddr3 ram and a gtx 680 graphics card. Here is a screenshit of MSI Afterburner not letting me increase the fan speed. My fan is a arctic accelero III. Thank you for your quick response! :)
ILryvn.png

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Doing some research, it seems like a vBIOS limitation to fan RPM, not strictly a %.

Whatever 85% represents in terms of RPM (can be viewed in software) is the upper end the vBIOS allows - same with the lower end.

A vBIOS flash might allow the fan to spin a bit faster, but chances are there's a reason for such a limitation.

You're likely to achieve better results in cleaning out the card of dust and a reapply of the thermal paste.

Solution