Question Why can I no longer connect to my wifi?

Apr 15, 2022
My connection has been getting worse over time and I can’t figure out what the issue is. I can no longer see my 5G band, and my 2.4G band continuously disconnects to the point where I will never have internet connection. I am currently using the netgear nighthawk a7000 wifi adapter with my pc. I don’t believe it is an issue with the wifi adapter however, as it works perfectly fine with my laptop. All other devices such as laptops and phones can connect to both wifi bands as well, leading me to believe it is some issue with my pc itself. I have already updated all drivers etc.

So you take the same wifi adapter and plug it into your laptop and it function correctly? I assume you disabled the wifi in the laptop so you can force it to use the external wifi card.

That wifi card is one of the recommended ones when using it on a desktop. Since it has a long USB cable it will not be blocked by the case. The metal case tends to be one of the largest issues for desktop wifi.

I really hate windows when it comes to problems like this. They have so much trash and hide everything in massive piles of menus and then they change it as they update so instructions never seem to stay the same. You have to blindly click around trying to find things. I would check the event viewer first to see if there are any errors related to the wifi card or maybe its a USB problem.

When you find nothing you are back to the standard reinstall windows. I mean it like bulldoze your house because the floor is dirty but microsoft does not make things easy.

Before you do that I would get a USB linux boot image and test that. Most these images have support for all the common wifi chipset. If this function correctly you then know all the hardware is good.