• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

[SOLVED] Why Can I Only Get 200mbps out of 600mbps on a Wired Connection

Nov 19, 2019
My main Windows 10 desktop is connected via a wired ethernet connection to a switch and then to my router/modem from my ISP.

I have a 600mbps connection, but only ever see 200mbps max.

If I plug in a laptop to the same connection using the same cables I see 600mbps.

I've swapped the switch, cables, ran the line directly without the switch, swapped ports on the router and still only ever get 200mbps max.

I've ran the speedtest in safe mode same result. I've updated my network driver to the latest, same result.

It's an Intel I217-V NIC if that helps. I'm running out of ideas here as to why.

Nov 19, 2019
Nothing like that is installed. I've only ever installed just the basic drivers for things.

It's an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard if that helps any.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
do you have that router connected to a modem?

the router has to be gigabit capable, and must be connected from the modem to the router using cat 5e or cat 6 ethernet cable

from the router you mention to the switch all must be the same cat 6 or 5e and all devices must be gigabit capable

if one of the devices is not gigabit capable the default speed will go to 100 mbps, 200mbps is possible on some ethernet cards doing a duplex trick, forcing double of the connection, sometimes it works, but is supposedly duplex in terms of what goes up, also goes down at the same speed

to be sure you are getting 600mbps download, connect a desktop or a laptop directly to the modem, run the speed test again, if you get the desired speed, the problem is in the wiring, the router or the switch, if you don't get the desired speed you need to contact your isp, who has to guarantee you full speed connected directly to the modem

Nov 19, 2019
It's an all in one router/modem from the ISP. If I connect directly to it with a different Windows 10 desktop machine (my old backup machine) it gets the full 600mbps.

If I connect my main rig Windows 10 desktop machine directly it only gets 200mbps. I've eliminated the switch, cabling and ports as an issue at this point.

The Windows 10 desktop with the issue shows a 1gbps LAN connection on the network card.

You could try a old program called iperf to transfer between 2 machines in your house. This is a pretty simple test that is not affected by cpu/memory/disk. You should see 900+ mbps in both directions. All this does is eliminate the device drivers and the hardware. It then gets to the messy problem of which software is guilty. You could also try coping large files between machines as a slightly more complex test.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
first discard the ethernet cable itself, when used with that pc with the slow connection, if another cable gives the same results then we should move to diagnose the ethernet adapter itself

the card must be set on full duplex, you must check if you have the latest drivers for that ethernet adapter

Nov 19, 2019
You could try a old program called iperf to transfer between 2 machines in your house. This is a pretty simple test that is not affected by cpu/memory/disk. You should see 900+ mbps in both directions. All this does is eliminate the device drivers and the hardware. It then gets to the messy problem of which software is guilty. You could also try coping large files between machines as a slightly more complex test.
I tried transferring a 3GB+ file between the problem computer and one that was fine that are both wired into the network. Was getting about 95MB/s to 98MB/s consistently for the transfer to and from.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS