why can they make a 3.7 volt lion battery in a 1.5 volt battery form factor but not a 1.5 volt lion battery?

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Kentli a new company is now selling lion rechargeable aa, aaa batteries that put out 1.5 volts as some devices require or will not work such as current standard rechargeable batteries that put out 1.2 volts will not work period in some devices.

the lion batteries Kentli is making, put out 3.7 volts but are reduced to 1.5 volts with built-in electronic circuitry, why have to go through all that trouble when batteries work by chemical reaction, if you can put a 3.7 volt lion battery into a 1.5 volt battery form factor then why not use less lithium-ion to create a 1.5 volt lion battery in the first place, they are packing 3.7 volt producing chemicals into a 1.5 volt battery form factor.

x amount of mixed chemicals will produce x amount of chemical reaction producing x amount of voltage and amperes, change the input variables and you change the output variables? and with science, we have learned that that certain things are demonstrably repeatable over and over again such as certain chemicals when mixed in the same proportions will react the same every time, that is why batteries can be made to standard specifications that will work exactly as they were designed too every time. obviously, if the solution of using fewer chemicals to reduce the output voltage was that simple then they would have done it years ago, also Kentli rechargeable aa and aaa 1.5 volt batteries are very recent, necessity being the mother of invention and the 1.2 volt rechargeable battery being an issue for many devices a known issue of many years, yet it took this long to get this to solution by this new company Kentli.

I took 2 years of Air Conditioning/Refrigeration obtaining a diploma, and 5 quarters of industrial electricity, working in the appliance repair field for many years. picking up many things over those years, so that is where I am coming from.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
energy density of the lithium.
"Lithium is also a highly reactive element, meaning that a lot of energy can be stored in its atomic bonds. This translates into a very high energy density for lithium-ion batteries. "

"The movement of these lithium ions happens at a fairly high voltage, so each cell produces 3.7 volts. This is much higher than the 1.5 volts typical of a normal AA alkaline cell that you buy at the supermarket and helps make lithium-ion batteries more compact in small devices like cell phones. "

quotes taken from here
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/lithium-ion-battery.htm

its the chemistry itself that makes it 3.7V you cannot make the reaction smaller without chaning the lithium which would make it a new battery or cell chemistry altogether but you can add resistors to the output and step down the results

Kentli a new company is now selling lion rechargeable aa, aaa batteries that put out 1.5 volts as some devices require or will not work such as current standard rechargeable batteries that put out 1.2 volts will not work period in some devices.

the lion batteries Kentli is making, put out 3.7 volts but are reduced to 1.5 volts with built-in electronic circuitry, why have to go through all that trouble when batteries work by chemical reaction, if you can put a 3.7 volt lion battery into a 1.5 volt battery form factor then why not use less lithium-ion to create a 1.5 volt lion battery in the first place, they are packing 3.7 volt producing chemicals into a 1.5 volt battery form factor.

x amount of mixed chemicals will produce x amount of chemical reaction producing x amount of voltage and amperes, change the input variables and you change the output variables? and with science, we have learned that that certain things are demonstrably repeatable over and over again such as certain chemicals when mixed in the same proportions will react the same every time, that is why batteries can be made to standard specifications that will work exactly as they were designed too every time. obviously, if the solution of using fewer chemicals to reduce the output voltage was that simple then they would have done it years ago, also Kentli rechargeable aa and aaa 1.5 volt batteries are very recent, necessity being the mother of invention and the 1.2 volt rechargeable battery being an issue for many devices a known issue of many years, yet it took this long to get this to solution by this new company Kentli.

I took 2 years of Air Conditioning/Refrigeration obtaining a diploma, and 5 quarters of industrial electricity, working in the appliance repair field for many years. picking up many things over those years, so that is where I am coming from.
Well, put ALL your knowledge to work and create a new lithium battery. I mean, since it's as easy as just mixing less chemicals, should be a piece of cake.

FYI: There are a few lithium based batteries available. A few I know of the top of my head are Lithium polymer/LiPo, Lithium Ion/Li-Ion and Lithium Iron/LiFe. Each with different nominal voltages.

Last edited:

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I wanted to reply to drivinfast247 but it would not let me it would only let me reply to the first person who answered for whatever reason.

Well, put ALL your knowledge to work and create a new lithium battery. I mean, since it's as easy as just mixing less chemicals, should be a piece of cake.

FYI: There are a few lithium based batteries available. A few I know of the top of my head are Lithium polymer/LiPo, Lithium Ion/Li-Ion and Lithium Iron/LiFe. Each with different nominal voltages.

x amount of mixed chemicals will produce x amount of chemical reaction producing x amount of voltage and amperes, change the input variables and you change the output variables? and with science, we have learned that that certain things are demonstrably repeatable over and over again such as certain chemicals when mixed in the same proportions will react the same every time, that is why batteries can be made to standard specifications that will work exactly as they were designed to every time. obviously, if the solution of using fewer chemicals to reduce the output voltage was that simple then they would have done it years ago, also Kentli rechargeable aa and aaa 1.5 volt batteries are very recent, necessity being the mother of invention and the 1.2 volt rechargeable battery being an issue for many devices a known issue of many years, yet it took this long to get this to solution by this new company Kentli. [/QUOTE]

obviously, if the solution of using fewer chemicals to reduce the output voltage was that simple then they would have done it years ago, FYI:

I get it if it is much more than a few sentences people tend not to read the whole thing but doing so they miss a key element, I suppose I could have gone and searched a bit further on my own and got my answer through reading about Lithium and its energy density as the first respondent replied, it is nice however once in a blue moon to ask a question and know that you will get an answer quicker than trying to hunt for that answer on your own. at almost 61 I have been around the block a few times, but there is an entire world of knowledge that I don't know and though google is great for general things, not so much for really technical specific answers.

I have heard since I was a kid, "if ya don't know, ask" "it never hurts to ask" my technical prowess is limited to the college that I did take, the experience I gained using that knowledge in the real world as well as basic common sense or street smarts the stuff I picked up in my journey through life, things I learned from others they passed on to me and so on and so forth. you could say that I know just enough to be dangerous!!! just because I know how to make thermite does not mean that I should like I said I know just enough to be dangerous lol. the real trick is having the wisdom not to make a fuel/oxidizer which is doubly dangerous when you have 0 experience with it, seeing it in videos and knowing its chemical composition is not experience, messing with stuff like that should be left to the professionals who were trained to use such things and have years of experience, The Myth Busters!!! hehe.

Last edited: