[SOLVED] Why can USB-C do 240w but 8-Pin only do 150w ?

EmptyAlpaca

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
I know this is a bit of a stupid question but how can the new USB-C do 240w and big bulky 8-pins can still only do 150w?

Solution
Ok thanks
I would also like to mention how the pin count doesn't matter much. It's the gauge, design, layout and voltage that decide that.
The EPS 8 pin for your cpu (almost the same as the pci-e 8 pin in terms of looks) provides about 300 watts, even though it's exactly the same size, and can even be jammed into one another (don't do that. easy way to fry your board or gpu.)
A 6 pin pci-e (all pci-e are 6+2, so just omit the +2) only provides 75 watts, but only 2 more pins makes it 150.
And an even more extreme example would be Nvidia's 12 pin connector.
6 is 75, so 12 should be 150 right? no, it's 500-650 (depends on who you ask, from what I know Nvidia never mentioned an offical rated wattage, but unoffically it's been tested...
It depends on a whole lot of things.
Not all USB-C ports and cables can do 240 watts.
That 240watt is an extremely new standard (Pretty sure it came out like, today.)
It might have a different voltage and amperage, or maybe the cables have to have higher gauge, ports will be built more robustly..
USB-C actually has 18 (I think?) conductors, unlike the 8 of the 8 pin. I would imagine that in the 240 watt configuration, some of the data ports will have to be converted to power ports.

Reactions: EmptyAlpaca

EmptyAlpaca

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
It depends on a whole lot of things.
Not all USB-C ports and cables can do 240 watts.
That 240watt is an extremely new standard (Pretty sure it came out like, today.)
It might have a different voltage and amperage, or maybe the cables have to have higher gauge, ports will be built more robustly..
USB-C actually has 18 (I think?) conductors, unlike the 8 of the 8 pin. I would imagine that in the 240 watt configuration, some of the data ports will have to be converted to power ports.
Ok thanks

Ok thanks
I would also like to mention how the pin count doesn't matter much. It's the gauge, design, layout and voltage that decide that.
The EPS 8 pin for your cpu (almost the same as the pci-e 8 pin in terms of looks) provides about 300 watts, even though it's exactly the same size, and can even be jammed into one another (don't do that. easy way to fry your board or gpu.)
A 6 pin pci-e (all pci-e are 6+2, so just omit the +2) only provides 75 watts, but only 2 more pins makes it 150.
And an even more extreme example would be Nvidia's 12 pin connector.
6 is 75, so 12 should be 150 right? no, it's 500-650 (depends on who you ask, from what I know Nvidia never mentioned an offical rated wattage, but unoffically it's been tested up to 648 watts.)
650 watts in 12 pins, even though 6 pins is only 150.

Meaning, the physical connector doesn't matter much.

Solution
Well IDK about USB 250 watt standards.. but for 100 watts I know...
USB C throws 20volt 5Amps total 100 watts...

While PCIe 6 pin connector have 3x5Amp 12v conductors out of which one is for sense... So only 2 comductors of 5amp each have voltage of 12v.. so total 12*10 = 120 watts.. (for 12v PCIe 6 pin connector)

For 8 pin they use 3 x5Amp conductors.. so 12*15 = 180 watts. Total

(That is maximum one connector can do without ruining itself)

Well USB C at 20 volt then used 1 phase or 2 phase DC buck converter to switch 20v 5amp to like 12(8amp) for laptops And 5v(20amp) for tabs..
To actually use that power.. while PCIe connectors. Are strictly designed for 12v only..
That 12v is then converted my multiple phase VRMs from 12v (let's say 120 watts) to 1.2 v 100amps.. for GPU chip itself..