[SOLVED] Why can't a GeForce 1050 support RTX through DXR?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Very simple question, requiring a knowledgeable answer. I have been Googling around, looking for any sort of workaround that would allow a 1050 card to support raytracing. For some reason that I do not understand, only the 1060 and up have been given support for this.

OK... Well I don't really need Nvidia's support - an unofficial or custom driver is fine. But I have also read that the drivers which enable this somehow will not enable it for the 1050. No reason is given. I assume the hardware is roughly the same, so what's going on here?

Is the hardware between a 1050 and 1060 so substantially different that the 1050 can not support the DXR (I believe its called) raytacing? If that is the case, I want to see proof. Is it written down somewhere, is there some evidence as to why it can't support raytracing? If there is no reason it can't - just an artificial limitation placed on it by Nvidia, how does one unlock this feature? Where does one get custom drivers that enable DXR/raytracing support?

I appreciate you helping me understand this!

Last edited:
Solution
The only way I can see there be any need for such a delay is if they do not actually have the item
If I was paying above MSRP for something, I'd expect it to ship next-day at most. If they give you an expected ship date over a month out, they either have no product whatsoever and merely speculated that they'll be able to source a board to make a profit on by then or the board hasn't left the factory yet, it may still be in the form of discrete parts.

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Its about twice as powerful as your 7870.

So yes it's a good upgrade but you were robbed on the price - but you already know that.

I am a little worried... I purchased through Amazon, but it says June 2nd before I receive it. It was not listed as out of stock. It is coming from New York, not China. I will give them until Friday to ship, then I will cancel. The only way I can see there be any need for such a delay is if they do not actually have the item :(

But if everything works out, twice as good isn't half bad :p

InvalidError

Titan
The only way I can see there be any need for such a delay is if they do not actually have the item
If I was paying above MSRP for something, I'd expect it to ship next-day at most. If they give you an expected ship date over a month out, they either have no product whatsoever and merely speculated that they'll be able to source a board to make a profit on by then or the board hasn't left the factory yet, it may still be in the form of discrete parts.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS