Question Why can't I achieve 128G RAM on this thing ? (Yeah, I know...who needs 128G RAM)

Jan 10, 2023
Anyway, so I got a ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI motherboard and I'm trying to work with 4 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 32GB, and the machine won't boot Windows or Ubuntu unless I take 2 of them out.

So, I don't know if it matters, but this is a new build paired up with a Samsung 990 m.2 and a ASUS Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 and a Intel Core i9-13900K with Corsair AX1600i Power and iCUE H100i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler

So, what do you think ?

D

Deleted member 14196

If you want to test, then unplug your SSD, and any other drive device and just see if it boots with four sticks. If not, perhaps, they’re not compatible with the motherboard or the processor

of course it’s possible that you have some defective hardware. We just have to find out what it is.

D

Deleted member 14196

Mixing ram can cause issues. They should always be purchased as one kit. You can still probably make it work in bios

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios .
You may have to settle for less than the advertised speeds.

When you think you are ok,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
As mentioned, it's possible that the RAM isn't playing nice because it was purchased as two separate kits of 2 sticks.
However, said RAM is on the QVL and the likely hood of this being the case is slim but not going to rule it out entirely.
What I would recommend is to go into the BIOS and make sure to reset the BIOS to defaults, and make sure that you do NOT apply any XMP to start with to see if the system will boot properly without it.
I would furthermore check for any BIOS updates and install them to see if an older BIOS revision is causing issues with running all 4 sticks at once.