[SOLVED] Why cant i boot windows 7 from bootable flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
I have been in the BIOS for a good while now just trying to set the boot priority, and i am sure i have it right. I am however consistently being met with a startup screen that allows me no interaction or progress only when the bootable drive is connected to the device

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
The site will not allow me to upload an image for some reason from my mobile, so i am not able to show the screen, but the screen shows me CPU ID, CPU CLOCK, Base Memory, Extended Memory, L1 and L2 Cache Size Pri./Sec. master disk and slave disk, and some other stuff along with USB Storage Device: High Speed device 2.X and underneath is a flashing P that appears to be a place i can type things in, yet i cannot

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
I need to have this up and running very soon, so i do not have time to go and get a physical dvd iso, and the most annoying part is that i have done this a few times in the past and i am doing it the exact same way, except i have never encountered this issue before

USAFRet

Titan
I need to have this up and running very soon, so i do not have time to go and get a physical dvd iso, and the most annoying part is that i have done this a few times in the past and i am doing it the exact same way, except i have never encountered this issue before
Well, we out here have no idea of how you may have done it previously.
Or, just as importantly...Why.

As you've already been told, Windows is not designed to be run off of external media. There are no official instructions on how to do it, only some very unofficial hacks. Licensing requires that you have the correct installation media, so "I don't have time to acquire the physical disk" is no excuse.

I have been in the BIOS for a good while now just trying to set the boot priority, and i am sure i have it right. I am however consistently being met with a startup screen that allows me no interaction or progress only when the bootable drive is connected to the device
So - it's not quite clear, what you're trying to do there.
Are you trying to install windows 7 from USB flash drive?
Or are you trying to install windows 7 onto a flash drive?

Why are you saying, you cant get a physical disk?
To install windows, you need a physical disk, where windows will be installed onto.

Note - on modern hardware windows 7 installation has to be specially prepared.
USB drivers need to be integrated.
If you're using nvme drive, then also several hotfixes and nvme drivers have to be integrated into installation.

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
As you've already been told, Windows is not designed to be run off of external media. There are no official instructions on how to do it, only some very unofficial hacks. Licensing requires that you have the correct installation media, so "I don't have time to acquire the physical disk" is no excuse.
this just isnt the case tho bc windows literally provide free ISO's for this exact purpose and then allow you to purchase a serial key separately?

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
i also see no reason if i have a serial key already to go out and spend an extra £100 minimum just to acquire a physical disk when the ISOs are provided for free by the company that produces them?

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
So - it's not quite clear, what you're trying to do there.
Are you trying to install windows 7 from USB flash drive?
Or are you trying to install windows 7 onto a flash drive?

Why are you saying, you cant get a physical disk?
To install windows, you need a physical disk, where windows will be installed onto.

Note - on modern hardware windows 7 installation has to be specially prepared.
USB drivers need to be integrated.
If you're using nvme drive, then also several hotfixes and nvme drivers have to be integrated into installation.
i am trying to install FROM a flash drive that has already been converted into a bootable drive. And, as I have said, you can use an ISO file with a flash drive using Microsoft's own conversion device to make that flash drive bootable. There is absolutely no reason for me to spend extortionate money that I have already spent before to get a new disk now.

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
"on the new device "

And this device would be.....

Again....Are you trying to create a USB thing to install from, or are you trying to install a working OS ON an external drive?

Like I said. I have created a bootable drive that HAS THE ISO. I am trying to use this to install windows on a newly built pc.

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
You already have the ISO file?
And a valid Windows 7 license key?

In what way is Rufus not working to create this?
rufus worked fine, im starting to wonder how this wasnt clear.

the bootable drive works, it gives me an entirely new screen within the bios, but i am stuck at this screen which would normally immediately boot from the drive. the reason for this, however, i assume the same as you lot, is lost on me. i dont know why this hasnt worked as it has before.

Status
Not open for further replies.