[SOLVED] Why cant i boot windows 7 from bootable flash drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
I have been in the BIOS for a good while now just trying to set the boot priority, and i am sure i have it right. I am however consistently being met with a startup screen that allows me no interaction or progress only when the bootable drive is connected to the device

Duckfish

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
You use the ISO and Rufus to create the bootable thing.

Now....as SNR asked...what hardware are you installing this TO?
Recent hardware is NOT compatible with Win 7.
it is an old PC of mine with some extra parts, that arent that recent. this machine has ran windows 7 with this boot process in the past.

it is an old PC of mine with some extra parts, that arent that recent. this machine has ran windows 7 with this boot process in the past.
Old systems run on MBR new systems run on GPT, it's an option you can choose in rufus or whatever you use, I'm not sure but it probably defaults to the new GPT option, it is also called legacy or secure boot.

You can check with your system BIOS to see if it had a legacy secure toggle or you check with rufus to make a new USB with the other option.

As everybody already told you, even if you get it to boot into the windows 7 installation it might not like the hardware and not be bale to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.