Why can't I change my default media player?

I go to choose an app for each file type and I change it to MPC-HC x64 and it won't change.

Round 2 - I tried to open a file with a right click and open with and I chose a different app. The next screen shows the apps I've used and the ones it suggests and I choose MPC and click on Always use this app. It'll open with MPC but the default spays with WMP.

I have also gone into Windows Explorer and Everything(Search utility)and tried to change it with the open with. Nope.

Help please.

Solution
I had a similar problem with Windows Photo Viewer yesterday.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3800987/change-file-associations-back-windows-photo-viewer.html

I just tried with MPC-HC and had the same problem. Here's what I did to fix it:

Run MPC-HC as Admin
View menu / Options
Player / Formats
Click on the green check box on the right to check all boxes.
Choose OK.

This will not actually set the file extensions, but it will "reset" them or "release" them.

Now double click on a video file. You will be presented with the "How do you want to open this file?" dialog.
Choose MPC-HC from the list and be sure to check the box at the bottom titled "Always use this app to open .??? files". Choose OK

Now close MPC-HC out and double click...

The former but also used the latter hoping to set the default which is normally the way I change the defaults for video and audio types. I have no choice but to use 'Open With" unless I want it to open with Movies and TV which is the current default. I have removed WMP though add remove features.

It was downloaded for my PC.

gardenman

Splendid
I had a similar problem with Windows Photo Viewer yesterday.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3800987/change-file-associations-back-windows-photo-viewer.html

I just tried with MPC-HC and had the same problem. Here's what I did to fix it:

Run MPC-HC as Admin
View menu / Options
Player / Formats
Click on the green check box on the right to check all boxes.
Choose OK.

This will not actually set the file extensions, but it will "reset" them or "release" them.

Now double click on a video file. You will be presented with the "How do you want to open this file?" dialog.
Choose MPC-HC from the list and be sure to check the box at the bottom titled "Always use this app to open .??? files". Choose OK

Now close MPC-HC out and double click on a video file to open it again. It should open in MPC-HC. MPC-HC might pop up a message saying "Do you want to reassociate the icons?" Choose Yes and you should be set.

Solution
Nov 2, 2018

Huge thanks, this prob has been killing me for days!!