[SOLVED] Why can't I connect to a 3rd display anymore

Geocidal

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I had a laptop connected to 3 TV sets. The laptop is a HP Eiitebook 745 G6 with Radeon 8 graphics. I had one TV connected via the HDMI output and the other two were connected using a USB Type-C to 2x displayport adapter.

It was working fine until one day, it would only output to one of the TVs connected via displayport. I thought one of the cables must be faulty so I tried a different cable. Same issue.

The bizarre thing was that each time I turned on the laptop, it would connect to a different one of the two screens connected via displayport. In other words every time I turned the laptop on, the working display would swap sides.

If I plug a single displayport cable into either one of the outputs on the adapter, it will work. Both of the outputs can work but not both at the same time.

Thinking the USB Type-C to 2x displayport adapter must be faulty I bought a docking station of the laptop. It has two displayport outputs and a VGA output. Using these 3 outputs I attempted to connect the 3 TVs.

The TV connected via VGA worked faultlessly but for the TVs connected via displayport it would again only connect one at a time and again it would swap which side is working every time I turn the laptop on.

I've tested all the cables, and the inputs to the TVs and I've gone into the device manager and ensured Vega driver and generic pnp monitor drivers are up to date. Clicking "detect" on display settings does not detect the third display.

Please help me solve this problem.