Question Why Can't I Connect to HTTPS Sites?

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I left for vacation for two weeks and on getting back, my desktop seems completely FUBAR.

I have a few issues that I think are connected:

1) I cannot connect to any HTTPS site in either Chrome or Microsoft Edge. I can however connect to non-HTTPS sites.

2) Whenever I try to run the Microsoft troubleshooter I get an error that says "Validating the integrity of the troubleshooter failed."

3) I thought the problem might stem from having a VPN installed on the computer so I tried to uninstall my copy of ExpressVPN and I get an error inside the ExpressVPN installer that says "Fatal error during installation."

4) I can't update Windows10. The last time it checked for updates was 9/4/19

Can someone please help me figure out what is going on? I have tried various things to fix the individual problems (changing date/time settings, flushing DNS, changing DNS server, etc.)

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I get a NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID on Chrome and a Hmmm...can't reach this page on Edge. I am only using the standard Windows Defender anti-virus software.

As for date/time I have messed around with that a bit and it seems to be fine. That was the first suggestion I saw everywhere so it was the first thing I attempted to fix.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I get a NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID on Chrome and a Hmmm...can't reach this page on Edge. I am only using the standard Windows Defender anti-virus software.

As for date/time I have messed around with that a bit and it seems to be fine. That was the first suggestion I saw everywhere so it was the first thing I attempted to fix.
What do you mean by "messed around with it" ?
Either the time is very close to correct or it is not.
I believe there is a 5 minute leeway.

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I mean I hit time sync, changed the time zone and then back again. It is correct to the second and as far as I can tell was never wrong to begin with.

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Yes I currently have set time automatically enabled as well as set time zone automatically. It is currently using Pacific Time which is where I am located.

ASK THE COMMUNITY