[SOLVED] Why Can't I Connect to HTTPS Sites?

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I left for vacation for two weeks and on getting back, my desktop seems completely FUBAR.

I have a few issues that I think are connected:

1) I cannot connect to any HTTPS site in either Chrome or Microsoft Edge. I can however connect to non-HTTPS sites.

2) Whenever I try to run the Microsoft troubleshooter I get an error that says "Validating the integrity of the troubleshooter failed."

3) I thought the problem might stem from having a VPN installed on the computer so I tried to uninstall my copy of ExpressVPN and I get an error inside the ExpressVPN installer that says "Fatal error during installation."

4) I can't update Windows10. The last time it checked for updates was 9/4/19

Can someone please help me figure out what is going on? I have tried various things to fix the individual problems (changing date/time settings, flushing DNS, changing DNS server, etc.)

Solution
Worst case try to force the patch back out. Microsoft has admitted they have many reports of network issues....mostly that the ethernet card completely disappears. There are a number of other bugs they admit so who know.

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I get a NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID on Chrome and a Hmmm...can't reach this page on Edge. I am only using the standard Windows Defender anti-virus software.

As for date/time I have messed around with that a bit and it seems to be fine. That was the first suggestion I saw everywhere so it was the first thing I attempted to fix.

USAFRet

Titan
I get a NET:ERR_CERT_INVALID on Chrome and a Hmmm...can't reach this page on Edge. I am only using the standard Windows Defender anti-virus software.

As for date/time I have messed around with that a bit and it seems to be fine. That was the first suggestion I saw everywhere so it was the first thing I attempted to fix.
What do you mean by "messed around with it" ?
Either the time is very close to correct or it is not.
I believe there is a 5 minute leeway.

Alfador

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Yes I currently have set time automatically enabled as well as set time zone automatically. It is currently using Pacific Time which is where I am located.