why can't i download pdf files on windows 7 using IE 11

fburgpete

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
When trying to open PDF files using IE 11, all I get is a little square box in the upper left hand corn with a x in. I have tried refreshing it, repairing Adobe Reader XI, trying a half dozen different things recommended to try but none have worked. if I want to get the file, I have to go to my laptop and download to my printer from there. I can't remember when this problem first appeared but when I need to download something, I can't.

Dragonburn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I think what they mean is why not just download the file, you can right click the link and choose Save Target As... and that will allow you to download the file, rather than trying to open the pdf in IE 11, as your plug in in IE is obviously not working or not installed correctly.

fburgpete

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Dragonburn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Have you tried enabling Compatibility view on the pages that you are having issues with, might be a coding error on the page that is not allowing you to download/view the file on the page, as some people like to embed the pdf into their page, so that the page opens and the pdf opens within the page. To enable compatibility view, click the little cogwheel in the top right hand corner of the window (just below the red X) and select Compatibility view settings and add the site to the list, then click ok to close the dialogue box and refresh your browser

fburgpete

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013