why can't I run 3dmark2001 SE?

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
have you installed all updated drivers including the Video card/dx/monitor.
And whats the OS. you use?

<b>j</b>m<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ecor® <b>JAGGI<font color=red>E</font color=red>NAUT™<b> Graphics Processor
feat. up to <font color=green>16X</font color=green> Aliasing & <font color=green>32X</font color=green> Isotropic Fil.

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
windows XP home is OS. I DLed drivers for card like 2 weeks ago, looks like new one was released. I will get that now.

I didn't know directX had drivers, where can you get those? I tried installing with a game, (War 3), but it said I already had directx8.1. I'd get 9.0 but I have no internet on that comp currently, and directX requires internet to install. it does the file collecting thing.

monitor is dell garbage but should also have updated driver. ill double check that as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a game with DX9 on the CD, it doesn't need an internet connection to install this version.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't run it either, on futurecrap website they say it has been fixed it the latest patch. I wasn't for me. I'm not too worried since 3dcrap 200X isn't usefull at all.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do a search for the file, dx90b_redist.exe, or keywords dx9 and redistributable. This is a complete dx installer, no internet updating required.

It's pretty big at 30+ megs (well compared to the older directX installers) but if you have to do re-installs or multiple installs of directX then it's worth having. (One re-install when you have a dial-up connection is enough to convince one to get the file).

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In case anyone wants to run this on Windows 7, I found this method to work (setting the CPU affinity to one core):

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?474790-3dmark-2001-se-on-win-7

The only other thing I did was to run it in XP compatibility mode. It ran all benchmarks + the demo just fine.

The nature scene still impresses me, but the town in the dragon flight sequence actually looks worse than the town in 3dmark 2000. It was probably optimized for 640x480.