Question Why can't I type in the entire Recovery Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

revphelps

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I have a pro surface 6 with Win 10. I started it up and immediately Bit Locker appears. I have the recovery key but am only able to enter the first two digits. Why?

revphelps

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I found the doc in Microsoft. Unfortunately when I type that in at the command prompt, I get "The syntax of the command is incorrect." It's been too long since I worked with command prompts. I tried copying the command straight out of the MS
doc.

Ralston18

Titan
The following is not working?

manage-bde –unlock C: -rp <48-digit BitLocker recovery password>
manage-bde -protectors -disable C:

Pay very careful attention to the spaces and hyphens.

At the Command Prompt, type in the command(s) you have been trying.

Do not reveal the recovery password. Redact the middle 24 digits of the password.

Then take a screen shot of the typed command(s) and the resulting syntax error message.

Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Last edited:
The following is not working?

manage-bde –unlock C: -rp <48-digit BitLocker recovery password>
manage-bde -protectors -disable C:

Pay very careful attention to the spaces and hyphens.

At the Command Prompt, type in the command(s) you have been trying.

Do not reveal the recovery password. Redact the middle 24 digits of the password.

Then take a screen shot of the typed command(s) and the resulting syntax error message.

Post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
Just a quick comment re: the BitLocker key. Never reveal ANY of the key. All possible code groups have been generated and everyone interested in cracking (both good and bad guys) have a complete list of the groups. Leaving half of the groups visible cuts cracking by a considerable amount. We now return you to your regular programming.

Reactions: Ralston18

revphelps

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I have not had time to get back to this problem. I failed to mention that when I get to the command prompt, it shows X:\windows\system32, not the C: drive. I have typed and retyped but it cannot find the file specified. Any further help?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I failed to mention that when I get to the command prompt, it shows X:\windows\system32, not the C: drive. "

Are you saying that you are unable to select or otherwise access the C: (boot) drive?

What exactly is the "X" drive?

Do a couple of screen captures: Command Prompt and Disk Management (expand windows as necessary to show all).

Post the screen captures here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

All in all if you are unable to recover the laptop/files using Microsoft procedures then all is likely lost.

A clean reinstall will be necessary to recover the laptop.

revphelps

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I cannot access the C: drive for it is blocked. I do get the X:/windows/system32 drive. I read that if one gets the X drive, it's big trouble.
I cannot do a clean reinstall, for none of the dos commands work in this X: drive. I cannot proved a screen shot for that, like all other commands is not recognized. When I tried the commands listed in the Microsoft leterature dealing with BitLocker, the commands cannot be found in the X:/ drive.
When I go to the C: from the X: I get the error message that C; is locked and I should go to control panel to unlock it. Fat Chance. Again, the Dos commands are not recognized.
I really do appreciate your suggestions, for a number of you have responded. But I am afraid I have a very expensive paper weight courtesy of Microsoft and 21st century computing. I am willing to try anything else one of you might suggest.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I read that if one gets the X drive, it's big trouble " - not likely so but without some context or cited source I simply do not know.

End Users (with applicable rights) have the ability to assign drive letters within a few basic restrictions. How the "X" drive came to be I do not know that either.

However, I am very sure that you can do a clean install.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Read the tutorial and plan accordingly.

All data on the target drive will be lost.

Hopefully you will be able to restore any such data via backup sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.