Why can't I use 3 displays on a 7870?

bb12jo

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Hi and Merry Christmas! I just got a new monitor to add to my other two monitors (3 total) and I can't seem to get all three of them to work. Only two work at a time no matter what combination of cables I use. I tried getting different drivers with no luck. I am using a 7870 for all three displays. The 7870 is in crossfire with a R9 270x. I really want to use all my monitors so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Pretty sure that if you're using the HD7870 as the primary card (why is that, by the way?), you need to use the DisplayPort output. If you're going to a VGA input, you will need an active adapter to convert the digital signal to analog. If you're going to a DVI or HDMI input, you should be able to just use a passive adapter.

-Wolf sends

bb12jo

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I am not using Displayport because none of my monitors support it. I am using HDMI and DVI. I had it working for a little bit with one DVI being plugged into the second card.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Pretty sure that if you're using the HD7870 as the primary card (why is that, by the way?), you need to use the DisplayPort output. If you're going to a VGA input, you will need an active adapter to convert the digital signal to analog. If you're going to a DVI or HDMI input, you should be able to just use a passive adapter.

-Wolf sends

Solution

pauls3743

Distinguished

It doesn't matter that none of your monitors support displayport. You need to use it, even if it's with an adapter.