Question Why can't laptop CPUs be upgraded if they use the same socket?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I have an Alienware M17 with:
Base:
i7 8750H
RTX 2070MQ 8GB (max recorded boost of 1815mhz)
Upgraded:
RAM 2x16GB 2667mhz
SSD 1TB m.2 Samsung 970 Evo plus (to be upgraded to 2TB) + 250GB Samsung 970 Evo plus + 1TB Sata SSD (Origin Inception TLC830 Pro 2.5")

I often find in a lot of games my CPU ends up being a bottleneck not hugely but I feel if it were possible (in any way) could another laptop CPU that uses the same CPU socket be installed.
I do get a lot of things like wattage difference, tdp, the cases thermal limits, etc... would all be factored in so I can't just (if possible) replace my current 8750H with an i9 but maybe instead use something closer like an i7 9th gen (9850H)

bignastyid

Titan
The socket is BGA, which means it's soldered to the motherboard. While this doesn't mean it can be replaced the process is not as easy as PGA or LGA. BGA requires proper equipment and experience.
Then there is the issue of bios support. Most OEMs bioses don't support many cpus usually only the models they shipped with that series. So even if the new cpu is socket and chipset compatible the bios may not have the microcode to support it.
So while an upgrade maybe possible its usually not feasible.

I have an Alienware M17 with:
Base:
i7 8750H
RTX 2070MQ 8GB (max recorded boost of 1815mhz)
Upgraded:
RAM 2x16GB 2667mhz
SSD 1TB m.2 Samsung 970 Evo plus (to be upgraded to 2TB) + 250GB Samsung 970 Evo plus + 1TB Sata SSD (Origin Inception TLC830 Pro 2.5")

I often find in a lot of games my CPU ends up being a bottleneck not hugely but I feel if it were possible (in any way) could another laptop CPU that uses the same CPU socket be installed.
I do get a lot of things like wattage difference, tdp, the cases thermal limits, etc... would all be factored in so I can't just (if possible) replace my current 8750H with an i9 but maybe instead use something closer like an i7 9th gen (9850H)
Bios support?
I think you need to find what cpu options dell offered for your model.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Bios support?
I think you need to find what cpu options dell offered for your model.

Likely wouldn't matter. Not usually CPU upgrade options included in OEM BIOS updates.

They buy chipsets and CPUs in sets for assembly so they don't have much need to use an old board with a new CPU.

Aside from the necessary tools to resolder a BGA CPU, you would likely need to edit the BIOS yourself to add CPU support. Which would mean getting the BIOS from a newer model.

If you want to keep the laptop and upgrade the CPU, you simply buy a whole motherboard that fits the chassis. But sadly the GPU is soldered too, so that means replacing all the expensive parts.

Only board I can see that would fit would be the i7-9750H + GTX1660/1660Ti, so basically not as good.

10th gen looks like they switched to a different board.

Likely wouldn't matter. Not usually CPU upgrade options included in OEM BIOS updates.

They buy chipsets and CPUs in sets for assembly so they don't have much need to use an old board with a new CPU.

Aside from the necessary tools to resolder a BGA CPU, you would likely need to edit the BIOS yourself to add CPU support. Which would mean getting the BIOS from a newer model.

If you want to keep the laptop and upgrade the CPU, you simply buy a whole motherboard that fits the chassis. But sadly the GPU is soldered too, so that means replacing all the expensive parts.

Only board I can see that would fit would be the i7-9750H + GTX1660/1660Ti, so basically not as good.

10th gen looks like they switched to a different board.
Yup.....it was just a starting point looking for what's possible/practical.

Perhaps another avenue is to get the proper bios and drivers and then work on unneeded background stuff.