slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
I have had a nightmare weekend trying to get this build up and running. The long short is that I am able to run some games/applications seemingly fine. Others instantly HARD lock my system forcing me to do a hard shut down. System specs below.

I have tried bios settings at default, RAM docp enabled/disabled/overvolted, PBO enabled/disabled, among others.

When I would launch a game such as Warframe of Civ 6 I would have no issues, game runs fine, temps mostly settle to in the 50/60's with some spikes to the 70's.

The only CPU benchmark I am able to run consistently is Prime95 blend, all other P95 options as well as Cinebench, AIDA64 instantly lock my system on start. I have also encountered the problem launching/loading screens in Assassins Creed: Odyssey.

When the system locks up, the last things I see on Ryzen Master have temps jumping to high 60's-mid/high 70's, voltage 1.35-1.42, clocks reaching 4.2, and CPU EDC @ 100%

Currently I have my CPU undervolted with an offset of .075, RAM can't quite reach 3600mhz, and I am now able to run Assassins Creed: Odyssey stable. I have ran memtest/swapped to a different RAM kit to rule out the RAM. Still unable to run any synthetics though. Please help me get this stable.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor |-

CPU Cooler | CRYORIG - C7G 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler |-

Thermal Compound | Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste | $9.23 @ Amazon

Motherboard | Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | $189.89 @ OutletPC

Memory | G.Skill - Trident Z Royal 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory |-

Storage | Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $69.99 @ Amazon

Storage | Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $69.99 @ Amazon

Video Card | Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card | $1219.99 @ Newegg

Power Supply | Corsair - SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply | $179.99 @ Amazon

Case Fan | Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan |-

Case Fan | Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan |-

Monitor | Dell - AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor | $848.47 @ Amazon

| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 13:23 EDT-0400 |

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
What bios revision are you running? 2406 has been known to have issues. Also, when you did your Windows install, did you do a fresh 1903 install? I had issues using a super old windows install, when I put my rig together.
I'm on 2406 yes, and I have seen the posts about problems, but I haven't come across anyone that has as much instability as my system (i.e. all others I've spoken too are able to run benchmarks/stability tests). And the windows was a reinstall, yes.

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Have you tried running the RAM at 3466, 3400 or even lower speeds just to see if it is more stable.
RAM is currently at 3466 with fclk @ half that. No more stable though, still instant lock up, not bsod, just hard lock when I start Aida, p95, cinebench, even Tine Spy....

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Currently I have my CPU undervolted with an offset of .075, RAM can't quite reach 3600mhz, and I am now able to run Assassins Creed: Odyssey stable. I have ran memtest/swapped to a different RAM kit to rule out the RAM. Still unable to run any synthetics though. Please help me get this stable.

You don't want to undervolt these CPUs. It will reduce performance. As to the stability issues the only other thing I could think of is to try lowering the SOC voltage. Although it seems odd that you would past memtest86 if this was related to the memory or controller.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
You don't want to undervolt these CPUs. It will reduce performance. As to the stability issues the only other thing I could think of is to try lowering the SOC voltage. Although it seems odd that you would past memtest86 if this was related to the memory or controller.
I’ve heard about the undervolting! However as it stands that’s the only way I’m able to run Assassins Creed Odyssey. But isn’t SOC ties to another voltage?? I’m completely new to Ryzen so I’m unsure as to how things tie together.
Others have suggested that it could be the CPU IMC, but idk how to isolate. The only thing I can think of to put an older chip in and see if it is stable at stock. Do you think this would be a good indicator if it is a bad motherboard or CPU?
Any other ideas??:/

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I’ve heard about the undervolting! However as it stands that’s the only way I’m able to run Assassins Creed Odyssey. But isn’t SOC ties to another voltage?? I’m completely new to Ryzen so I’m unsure as to how things tie together.
Others have suggested that it could be the CPU IMC, but idk how to isolate. The only thing I can think of to put an older chip in and see if it is stable at stock. Do you think this would be a good indicator if it is a bad motherboard or CPU?
Any other ideas??:/
Did you update your chipset driver to the latest one available from AMD?

SOC voltage controls the VRM for the I/O die including the memory controller on your CPU. The ASUS bios tends to get really aggressive on this voltage when you install hi speed memory kits. If it's over 1.2v on auto try lowering it manually. It's good practice to have this below 1.2 v regardless. I'm not convinced this is the issue but it might be worth a try. I'd lean more toward the chipset driver or a bios version issue as others have suggested . I expect a round of bios updates to be rolling out for all of these boards soon.

I had a gigabyte board that wouldn't even post consistently on the latest bios with a 3600 yet worked perfectly fine with a 1600. When I did get into windows it was completely unstable. I re-flashed the bios (same version) and it now works great.

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
I would definitely follow directions, on the ROG forums, to go back to the previous bios revision, with Ryzen 3rd gen support.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?155

To be perfectly honest, with the amount of money you spent, on that system, you probably should have just went with an x570 board.
The plan is still to swap to a 570 when more are released. Since there's only 1 ITX option rn w/abysmal I/O .
I don't see from your link where I can roll back to the previous version, while keeping 3000 support? That would be an excellent thing that I haven't tried yet.

slyr586

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Did you update your chipset driver to the latest one available from AMD?

SOC voltage controls the VRM for the I/O die including the memory controller on your CPU. The ASUS bios tends to get really aggressive on this voltage when you install hi speed memory kits. If it's over 1.2v on auto try lowering it manually. It's good practice to have this below 1.2 v regardless. I'm not convinced this is the issue but it might be worth a try. I'd lean more toward the chipset driver or a bios version issue as others have suggested . I expect a round of bios updates to be rolling out for all of these boards soon.

I had a gigabyte board that wouldn't even post consistently on the latest bios with a 3600 yet worked perfectly fine with a 1600. When I did get into windows it was completely unstable. I re-flashed the bios (same version) and it now works great.
I've tried reflashing the bios to the same result. But yes, my chipset driver is current. SOC is at 1.087

logainofhades

Titan
2304 would have 3rd gen ryzen support.

https://www.asus.com/News/EtaH71Hbjuio1arV

Version 2304
2019/05/17 13.98 MBytes
ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING BIOS 2304
"1. Update AM4 ComboPI 0.0.7.2A for next-gen processors and to improve CPU compatibility
2. Fixed an issue with Precision Boost values

3. Improved memory compatibility

4. Enhance system security
ASUS strongly recommends installing AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating to this BIOS version.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS