[SOLVED] Why can't my graphics card be updated?

Nov 29, 2018
I just got an MSI laptop (gv62 8re) and when I went to play Forza Horizon 4, I got a blue screen. I looked up the error and it's graphics driver related. Ok, I thought, I'll update my graphics driver. It wouldn't let me and I am MANY versions behind current. I go on MSI's website and thier most current gtx driver is the one I have. I went to nVidia's website, downloaded the most current driver that fit my pc specifications, went to install it, and it wouldn't let me because Windows was out of date.

So now I updated Windows to build 1809. It STILL won't let me install the newest nVidia driver. So are MSI laptops locked to MSI drivers? Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a workaround the get a newer driver?

Any help is appreciated.

GTX 1060 3GB
I5-8300H
8GB

Solution
I would avoid trying to install reference drivers on laptops, it tends to break things, especially with systems with dual graphics like Intel and nVidia both. It should not be "locked" to the MSI driver, but it can cause issues. Did you check with MSI support if they have a newer driver that is maybe not out? At times system vendors make beta drivers available if asked for.
Nov 29, 2018
I currently have 398.35. I confirmed I am installing the right driver, but it still won't update. I am not at my pc at the moment but the one I am trying to install is 417.xx . Not for sure the exact number.

I would avoid trying to install reference drivers on laptops, it tends to break things, especially with systems with dual graphics like Intel and nVidia both. It should not be "locked" to the MSI driver, but it can cause issues. Did you check with MSI support if they have a newer driver that is maybe not out? At times system vendors make beta drivers available if asked for.

Solution