Why can't we go back...

Why can't we go back to the last working host and let Tim finish the combat logic in the meanwhile?

And if I can say some wish on the moving behavior:

Look at a situation where real Navy dreadnoughts, battle ships, destroyers, cruisers, aircreaft-carriers and Navy aircrafts are
fighting for an isle.

The ships are our space ships, the aircrafts are our wings and the isle with it's artillery is the base. The base itself has also
an air attack base to launch aircraft.

Now model the motion do to the weights and horse powers of the real ships and give the wings the right speed like the real
aircraft. Let wings always move like aircraft also must fly.

I guess at least we then could observe a behavior of motion which let us feel that in this point everything is ok.

GFM GToeroe

Sparrow

The problem is that to find most problems, a host needs to be tested
thouroughly. That is the task of the players. The best way to encourage
players using the new host intensely is - by giving them no other
choice. ;-O That is at least the policy at Drewheads and I believe it
to be a good one.

Difficulties start when major changes take place - and happen
unannounced or not well documented. This mostly results in confusion
and frustration. That is also the time when request to go back to the
previous host come up. ;-O

icon

Its a contest of reality vs sci-fi biffo. Capital ships and fighters
would behave massively different in space, jeeze, just axial rotation of
capital ships would be fun
"which way did you say he was? up down or behind us?"
"sir, is that in reference to up in the ship or from the local sun?"

:)

Gabor Törö wrote:
> Why can't we go back to the last working host and let Tim finish the combat logic in the meanwhile?
>
> And if I can say some wish on the moving behavior:
>
> Look at a situation where real Navy dreadnoughts, battle ships, destroyers, cruisers, aircreaft-carriers and Navy aircrafts are
> fighting for an isle.
>
> The ships are our space ships, the aircrafts are our wings and the isle with it's artillery is the base. The base itself has also
> an air attack base to launch aircraft.
>
> Now model the motion do to the weights and horse powers of the real ships and give the wings the right speed like the real
> aircraft. Let wings always move like aircraft also must fly.
>
> I guess at least we then could observe a behavior of motion which let us feel that in this point everything is ok.
>
> GFM GToeroe

Smiley

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Quite right about there being 2 ways to see the game. Or more precisely
2 broad preferences for style of play.

Me: I prefer the sci-fi biffo approach. A relatively simple system with
some basic tactical options that decide the general behaviour of your
craft. eg: deciding what range to keep from the enemy or escorting a
valuable ship, etc etc. Then it is up to the players to decide what
they want their ships, et. al. to be doing. The outcome of the battle
then being a synergistic result of the various tactics used.

Personally I'm not worried about trying to represent realisitic
physics. If everything has its combat speed and moves at that speed
then that's about all I care about. Yeah modelling the inertia is nice
but I'd rather see a system that works first. The model is only a model
after all most of the action is in the interpretation of the model.

I'd like more attention paid to the problems that the game is
encountering on the strategic level. Game balance IS important. Either
all races must be balanced in the actual game system or else individual
games should limit themselves to certain races only. (Fighter or
Non-fighter games, Hyp or non hyp games. That sort of thing.)

Oh and it might be nice if the various stats for fighters/ships/assault
units/races were actually relevent (and explained) but I guess that
will have to wait until the system is working first.

It would be interesting to see fighter wings tied up in a dogfight