Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Question says it all.
Every time I try to use the BIOS feature 'Memory try it' and whenever some predefined data set fails then the CMOS clear just leads to windows repair and then restore. i'm really fed up of this .
i have :
ryzen 5 3600 , deepcool gammaxx s40 cpu cooler
msi b450m pro vdh[updated to latest BIOS and chipset drivers]
corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3000mhz cl16
corsair cx450 psu
adata 480gb su650 windows boot drive
all stock settings. bios ram timings . even speed[2133] . all are at stock.
i try to use the BIOS feature 'Memory try it' and whenever some predefined data set fails then the CMOS clear just leads to windows repair and then restore. i'm really fed up of this .
example. 2666 cl14 settings pass and then when i try to use 2800 cl14/cl16 preset then it fails and i have to clear cmos to boot up. after this the windows circus starts. like what is even the problem ?
please guide as to how can i solve this ?

Solution
"Memory try it" is not the same as setting the XMP profile. Memory try it is a farce in my opinion.

First, make sure there are no newer BIOS updates for your motherboard than what you already have installed. If there are, update. Don't question this, just do it. There are ZERO AMD based chipset boards since the release of the first Ryzen processors that don't have at least one major memory compatibility update to the BIOS firmware in some way or another. If there are no newer versions than what you already have, then great, move on.

By move on, I mean set the XMP configuration for the memory, save settings and restart.

Done. No more messing around. Memory should either be set to the XMP profile, or manually configured to whatever the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every time I try to use the BIOS feature 'Memory try it' and whenever some predefined data set fails then the CMOS clear just leads to windows repair and then restore. i'm really fed up of this .

Memory Try It is a feature of MSI Bios, its nothing to do with windows.
Does the ram work in XMP?

If it works in XMP mode, but not in memory try it, then that's an indication that the memory try it functionality is a bit too aggressive for the memory you have.

Most likely the tighter timings used with memory try it are causing your system to be unstable, and that's then what is causing your BSoD's and such.

While memory try it might increase performance (mostly but slightly lowering the timing of the memory), it's going to be so minimal compared to the same speeds at XMP that you wouldn't even notice it.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=298690.0

Try turning off Fast startup and see if windows reacts same way - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Memory Try It is a feature of MSI Bios, its nothing to do with windows.
Does the ram work in XMP?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=298690.0

Try turning off Fast startup and see if windows reacts same way - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Thank you for the response.
Regarding the fast startup, it is already disabled by me as soon as I install windows.[really dont like that feature at all] .
Basically what happens is when I try different presets of memory try it, some pass and some fail. when it fails then i have to clear the cmos to make it boot again . but then why does the windows doesn't works /boots properly. It should right ? cz the OS would be working fine and suddenly when a memory try it preset failed and I clear the cmos and try to boot then the circus starts. windows will start to repair and then fail and then do system restore. without that i can't login back. it doesnt even gets into safe mode.

EDIT: I bought 2200g while building the pc and i was using cl16 2933mhz preset from memory try it . 3000 preset was giving bsod.
then when i got r5 3600 , i have been running the 3200mhz CL16 preset but timings changed from 16-18-18-18-36 to 18-20-20-20-38. it runs fine but i've seen a trend like there is a lot of performance difference with different ram presets.

I've ran cinebench r20 for these tests thrice and got average .[please dont judge me why I chose r20, but it was quick and easy hence i went on with it.]
2133 cl12 with FCLK=1600mhz = 3521
2133 cl12 FCLK=1067 = 3521
2400 cl12 FCLK=1200 = 3550
2666 cl14 FCLK=1333 = 3517 [sometimes it gave bsod]
2666 cl16 FCLK=1333 [this preset in unavailable]
2800 cl16 FCLK=1400 system wont boot. ezdebug dram led is lit.
i've not been able to continue more after this.
i'm confused sir as to what could be the issue. RAM sticks ? memory presets ?
i'm still unable to get as to how come windows get corrupted (or whatever happens to it) after a failed RAM timing preset.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you clear the CMOS it clears the record of the boot order as well which is likely why windows reacts like it does, as the boot loader isn't pointing at the right location of the boot drive.

I will find someone who knows about ram settings

"Memory try it" is not the same as setting the XMP profile. Memory try it is a farce in my opinion.

First, make sure there are no newer BIOS updates for your motherboard than what you already have installed. If there are, update. Don't question this, just do it. There are ZERO AMD based chipset boards since the release of the first Ryzen processors that don't have at least one major memory compatibility update to the BIOS firmware in some way or another. If there are no newer versions than what you already have, then great, move on.

By move on, I mean set the XMP configuration for the memory, save settings and restart.

Done. No more messing around. Memory should either be set to the XMP profile, or manually configured to whatever the fastest speed below the XMP profile that it will run at is, or at the default JEDEC speed if all else fails. Memory try-it is just a waste of time and energy, and has no practical benefit that I can see except to those who are too lazy to actually do the work required if you want to overclock your memory paste what is outlined in the XMP profile, and in that case, it's very likely that you'll end up with a grossly overvolted configuration anyhow. My advice is forget that memory try it even exists because it's lame.

Also, and this is very important, make sure that if you have two DIMMs in use that they are installed in the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket. These are generally named the A2 and B2 slots but some boards manufacturers might name them the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 slots. Do not use ANY other slots than these two if you have only two DIMMs installed. If you have only one DIMM installed, then use the A2 slot. If you have four DIMMs, that consist of two different sets (Even if they are two separate sets of the same memory kit part number), then that is an entirely different problem.

Solution

Vishal_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

Done. No more messing around. Memory should either be set to the XMP profile, or manually configured to whatever the fastest speed below the XMP profile that it will run at is, or at the default JEDEC speed if all else fails. Memory try-it is just a waste of time and energy, and has no practical benefit that I can see except to those who are too lazy to actually do the work required if you want to overclock your memory paste what is outlined in the XMP profile, and in that case, it's very likely that you'll end up with a grossly overvolted configuration anyhow. My advice is forget that memory try it even exists because it's lame.

Also, and this is very important, make sure that if you have two DIMMs in use that they are installed in the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket. These are generally named the A2 and B2 slots but some boards manufacturers might name them the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 slots. Do not use ANY other slots than these two if you have only two DIMMs installed. If you have only one DIMM installed, then use the A2 slot. If you have four DIMMs, that consist of two different sets (Even if they are two separate sets of the same memory kit part number), then that is an entirely different problem.

Thank you so much for detailed explanation. I'm not sure if Colif has anything to do with you answering but thanks to him as well.
Yup there are no BIOS updates. Already got to know to keep up with latest BIOS no matter what with ryzen. For the memory. I'll go with xmp mode only. no more tinkering. Thank you once again.

For sure. This could be worth taking the time to read as well, in case you get the "itch" to do some manual overclocking of the memory or tighten up the timings at some point. Neither of them are necessarily "bad" things, they just don't generally result in any kind of major gain in performance. For some of us though, ANY gain we can get, for free, is worth pursuing. But it is NEVER, EVER, a quick an easy process.

Advanced memory overclocking guide - Click here

TRENDING THREADS