Hadeus

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hey. So theoretically my pc should run majority of the popular games pretty well but it just doesn't. I have the most stuttering and freezes out of all my friends although I have better specs than some. I think the parts worse than them are RAM and CPU. But they shouldn't be that bad.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ruriD6qoHODPhqnQNfN2hsh
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26215889

I have plenty of space on my drivers, I physically cleaned the inside of my case with WD-40. I got no viruses. I genuinely have no idea what the problem may be. Do I actually need to upgrade my specs?

Solution
Could there be any solutions that do not require an upgrade in hardware?

You RAM setup may not be ideal by "todays standars", but since Speccy indicates: "8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)", and userbenchmark (which is not the best thing to test a system) also indicates "Performing way above expectations", I would really wont worry about it.

What I would really try to do is take off as much load from the CPU and the RAM as I can: 1. clolse all unnecessary applications, 2. test if any other browser can be less demanding than chrome, 3. See if discord app is better or worst than discord web, 4. Keep open only the gaming client you are using (why have both STEAM and Origin open at the same time, you wont be...
The "stuff" you have runing on your second monitor, is eating system resources (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.) while youre trying to play.

Try to keep only the things you really need. If you really need to use a browser check out others that usually eats less resources than chrome. Also if youre using discord, see if the stand alone app east more, or less resources than the web based one.

But yeah as other mention already you should close everything thats not essential.

First of all: you have bad memory choice - 4 sticks of 2gb. Change it to 1x8gb or better 2x8gb!
Second: you have too many apps in background: chrome (uses most memory), discord, steam, VPN, etc.

This makes no sense, I don't understand your logic... how's a 4x2GB configuration worse than a 1x8GB in terms of performance?

With the 4x2GB configuration he's running in dual channel fully, while with a 1x8GB module he'll be running in single channel getting worse performance.

Reactions: RodroX
First of all: you have bad memory choice - 4 sticks of 2gb. Change it to 1x8gb or better 2x8gb!
1x8GB would not be an improvement. That would only be running in single-channel mode, effectively halving maximum memory bandwidth. In any case, it looks like their RAM performance is reasonably fine for the processor they have, so that's not likely to be much of a problem.

Having more RAM could potentially help though, especially if other memory-hungry applications are running in the background.

Hadeus

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
1x8GB would not be an improvement. That would only be running in single-channel mode, effectively halving maximum memory bandwidth. In any case, it looks like their RAM performance is reasonably fine for the processor they have, so that's not likely to be much of a problem.

Having more RAM could potentially help though, especially if other memory-hungry applications are running in the background.

You RAM setup may not be ideal by "todays standars", but since Speccy indicates: "8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)", and userbenchmark (which is not the best thing to test a system) also indicates "Performing way above expectations", I would really wont worry about it.

What I would really try to do is take off as much load from the CPU and the RAM as I can: 1. clolse all unnecessary applications, 2. test if any other browser can be less demanding than chrome, 3. See if discord app is better or worst than discord web, 4. Keep open only the gaming client you are using (why have both STEAM and Origin open at the same time, you wont be playing two games at the same moment right?), 5. VPN client its another thing that can be closed if you are not using it, and 6. Think if you need both Samsung and Apple Mobile crap open too.

One thing you can do now, is find out if your 4 sticks of RAM are DDR3 1333MHz; DDR3 1600MHz or a Mix of those two. If you find out your RAM is DDR3 1600 MHz, then you may be able to squish some small extra performance by going to your BIOS and turning the XMP profile ON (Im telling you this because right now your RAM is been reported by Speccy as 667MHz, which means 667x2=1333MHz). Both your motherboard and CPU support DDR3 1600MHz.

Other than that, in the future you could be updating your system, and as I see it you have two paths to follow, one that I would not take, trying to get a used Core i7 and 2x8GB (identical sticks or a kit) of DDR3 1600MHz RAM. And the second path getting a brand new Mohterboard + CPU +RAM kit (this time it will be atleast a 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz one).

I hope it helps, cheers.

PD, As I mention earlier, I would still take a look at the SSD and see if its connected to one of the white SATA ports on the motherboard.

Solution

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
This makes no sense, I don't understand your logic... how's a 4x2GB configuration worse than a 1x8GB in terms of performance?

With the 4x2GB configuration he's running in dual channel fully, while with a 1x8GB module he'll be running in single channel getting worse performance.

When you have enough memory is better but on low memory systems...
Windows use at least 1-2gb ram for itself and remaining memory is split for running apps.
If your game need 2gb ram (or more) it will be spread over many memory sticks.
His CPU only knows dual channel memory that means each channel has 2 x 2gb memory sticks which controller needs to manage as 2x4gb (to be dual channel) - it decrease performance when it needs to manage data splitted over many sticks.