Why Cpu usage very high?

lindacaramoy

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hi, ive had my computer for a few days its an i5 with gtx 770 for some reason when gaming my cpu usagfe goes up to 100% and when i do nothing it spikes between 1-40% ive used multiple virus software and malware to check for any problems and also used task manager to check what is being used by my cpu however it says only 3% is being used but on corsair link and Norton it says my cpu usage is very high im using windows 8 does anyone have any fixes for this prob
By3lyb

Solution
Multiple virus software is likely your problem. You only want to have one installed at a time, and many will tag others as viruses and they will fight. With chrome up, steam up, but nothing significant running my 955 is bouncing around a lot 3-25% usage. Just because you aren't doing anything doesn't mean your computer isn't, Windows always has background tasks runnings.

Grab CPU-z and see what it shows your clock frequency at, if you are downclocked windows will use a higher percentage of the CPU for background tasks than if you are at the higher frequency but the total absolute CPU usage is the same.

sharantk

Reputable
May 20, 2014
The more antivirus makes the CPU more usage. When gaming the whole processing will not be in the GPU some other than graphics processing will takes place in CPU. It is needed to consider that the best CPU match for the GTX 770 is i5 so it may boost your CPU to the maximum.

Multiple virus software is likely your problem. You only want to have one installed at a time, and many will tag others as viruses and they will fight. With chrome up, steam up, but nothing significant running my 955 is bouncing around a lot 3-25% usage. Just because you aren't doing anything doesn't mean your computer isn't, Windows always has background tasks runnings.

Grab CPU-z and see what it shows your clock frequency at, if you are downclocked windows will use a higher percentage of the CPU for background tasks than if you are at the higher frequency but the total absolute CPU usage is the same.

Solution